Medical examination for the DVLA - help appreciated

pickledpepper2

I'm not proud of it and it was a long time ago.

A good few years ago I was pulled up after I'd been to a club with some friends after recently splitting up with my then girlfriend. I'd a couple and after a road side test was taken to the local station to have a proper test. There, the police became quite obnoxious, and being young and foolish I refused to cooperate with them.

To cut a long story short my license was revoked for failing to provide a specimen.

After my 1 year ban was over, I never bothered to renew my license because I generally hate driving and didn't need it, as I could get to where I wanted (including work) quite easily using public transport or walking.

I now need to get my license back for work purposes and reapplied.

I got a letter back saying I was a High risk offender (????) and have have a medical examination which is booked for a couple of weeks. I hardly drink now so that's no a problem but I was banned before I was diagnosed. I currently control my type 2 by exercise and diet alone.

I noticed the letter from the DVLA says:

"The medical examination will include filling in medical questionnaires about your medical history and a physical examination. This includes taking blood samples for analysis."

Now I know that the DVLA don't normally need to know if your controlling by diet and exercise, but I'm wondering if disclosing diabetes at this examination (which I might be compelled to do by the questionnaire) might prolong the process and cost of getting my license back?

Any thoughts?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
If I were you I'd just be honest right from the start. Diabetes controlled with diet and exercise will not be taken into consideration. Just jump through the hoops they ask and you will get your license back. If you start hiding things, it may come back to bite you. Dealing with DVLA is a slow process unfortunately but I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck !
Mo

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App