Medical exemption?

Insulin_John

In the UK we type 1's have these cards, but what do they cover exactly?

For example, do they cover NHS dentists fees? I think they do, but am not sure...

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Type 2s can have these cards too. i have one, but don't need it anymor, becauese I'm now over 60.
they entitle you to free prescriptions and eye tests as already stated.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Type 2s can have these cards too. i have one, but don't need it anymor, becauese I'm now over 60.
they entitle you to free prescriptions and eye tests as already stated.

sofaraway

only type 2's on medication can have them, those on diet and exercise are not entitled.
unfortunatly dental costs are not included

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
what everyone else has said! Free prescriptions! I didn't know it actually covered eye tests, but i did know that i didn't have to pay for them... i just didn't know it was because of that card!! lol

It's not just diabetic supply prescriptions it covers for though its any prescription. Although i was told by a doctor last year that "they" were trying to change that.

Phil_Bran

Hi I have a medical exemption card and I was wondering if it covered towards the cost of glasss? As I am a diabetic I get free eye tests and they say that I should have regular check ups on my eyes! Given that diabetes can effect the eyes it would make sense that you get help with glasss!

SilverAndEbony

Just to be pedantic....

The medical exemption certificate does NOT cover eye tests. Being diagnosed with diabetes DOES.
The medical exemption certificate only covers prescription charges.
I first got my medical exemption certificate because I'm on continuous anticonvulsive therapy to treat my epilepsy. I did not get free eye tests at that point. I was only entitled to free eye tests after I was diagnosed with diabetes.

DiabeticSkater

SilverAndEbony said:
Just to be pedantic....

The medical exemption certificate does NOT cover eye tests. Being diagnosed with diabetes DOES.
The medical exemption certificate only covers prescription charges.
I first got my medical exemption certificate because I'm on continuous anticonvulsive therapy to treat my epilepsy. I did not get free eye tests at that point. I was only entitled to free eye tests after I was diagnosed with diabetes.

The certificate issued because of diabetes entitles you to free prescriptions, eye tests and chiropodist.

SilverAndEbony

Hi DiabeticSkater,

I'm going to be pedantic and disagree with you I'm afraid..

On my plastic card it says:
NHS Prescription Charge Certificate
Certificate Type: Medical Exemption

Which, I understand it to mean, and have been told by my pharmacist boyfriend, that it is an exemption certificate for prescription charges only. People diagnosed with diabetes are also entitled to free eye test and chiropody, but having the card doesn't entitle you to anything but free prescriptions. In fact - and I may be wrong - if you're not on medication to control your blood glucose levels you are NOT entitled to free prescriptions, but you ARE entitled to free eye tests and chiropody.