1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Medical students claim lack of nutritional training

Discussion in 'Diabetes News' started by Oldvatr, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

If we lay people can figure out what the problems are with the modern diet and how to mitigate the resulting prognoses then it seems that it should not be rocket surgery to someone who sits in medical school for seven years. There would be little point in fighting to be taught the same dogma, they must (at least some of them must) question the quality of training as well as the quantity.
    I feel it is time to take the head off the snake and start from scratch on what is obviously Health 101.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I'd prefer no nutrition training. So they can make their own mind up.

Gluten free for coeliac and crohns.
    Carb free for diabetes, except for type1s in transition.
    Soya, cruciferous veg (brocoli, spouts, cauliflower, cabbage) and kelp free for hypothyroidism
    Etc....

I don't know much about nutrition for all conditions, just some.

• Like Like x 2
  5. kittypoker

kittypoker Friend · Well-Known Member

I clicked on a link within that story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42264838

Sometimes, I despair. To compare the Pioppi and keto diets with the nonsense that is Raw Vegan, Alkaline and Katie Price's "Please add to my already substantial wealth" supplements is just sad, and scary.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

I think we are training the wrong people to be doctors. The ability to listen is often simply not there. My son shared a house with 3 trainee docs at uni. They turned off the heating to save money and every time he turned it on again they turned it off. It was really cold, snow on the ground. He got pneumonia and I went to collect him (ill myself with a chest infection) and he begged not to go back there. No care or compassion or even guilt from his housemates. They weren't ill, so obviously he must have done something wrong.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  7. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

Why can't doctors learn about nutrition themselves? It doesn't all have to be spoonfed to them surely? Dr Unwin has done it. We have done it. Why can't these so called intelligent people think for themselves?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

That is very sad.
    No compassion in a Dr is dangerous. They won't last.
    People like me will have to educate them. It's never a sweet moment. Some have to learn the hard way thou.
    Isn't that life?

Mind you I don't think a person can be taught compassion. You either have it.... or you don't.

Your son will be the winner tell him. They will come a cropper on their arrogance!

As my grandmother used to say "the taller they are, the harder they fall". :)
    Its so true.

Arrogance has got us in this Brexit hardwork conundrum.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook