Medication

perrywinkle

I have been to Doctors today and feeling very despondant. I have been on diet control only since last October, and have lost a stone in weight, initally I felt alot better from cutting out sugar and following better diet. Now I have blurred vision, pins and needles in my arms and hands, extremely tired, still getting up three times sometimes more in the night and feel my sugar runs high in the evening following my main meal. I have bought a meter to test myself.
Doctor says its too early to think of meds and need to carry on losing weight, and that will lower the sugars. but I am concerned that the blood sugar is running high and damaging my body. How long do they wait before they consider medication?
A friend tested my blood this morning after fasting and it was 8. My last Hba1c was 6.6.
Any guidance would be appreciated .

Bertie

This is your health and by the sounds of it, you have already made really good progress.

If you monitor your blood results and maybe a food diary you could present this to your Doctor to show how active you are with your efforts, allowing them to see if the overall outcome then needs medication.

If you can manage your health without the need of medication it might be better for you, as some people do suffer from side effects of medication.

Good luck.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ask your dr why he won't let you try metformin - the side effects can be unpleasant for some people though they usually settle down especially with the slow release version, but it's rare that it is actually harmful.
Fasting sugar of 8 is too high really, but I would think it would have to be at that level for a long time before causing problems?

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations on your weight loss, Perrywinkle - that's great. HBA1c of 6.6% is excellent, within the target range for people with diabetes (6.5 to 7.5%) and only just above the normal range (4.0 to 6.5%). Fasting blood glucose of 8.0mmol/l is above the level for diagnosis of diabetes - see http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care ... evels.html

Definitely worth testing 2 hours after your evening meal, as that's when you feel you're at your highest. And recording food and readings in a diary to show your doctor.
However, I reckon that most GPs would prefer to encourage you to continue with your weight loss and good diet, rather than adding medication at this stage - it might be needed later in your life. You haven't mentioned physical activity, so if you're not already walking at least 30 mins at least 4 to 5 time per week (or equivalent in cycling, swimming, sports, gym, heavy gardening etc) then I'd suggest you add that.