Medtronic 640g and Enlite sensor life

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On the Veo I could always get an extra 24 hours beyond the 6 day sensor life by immediately restarting my old sensor as a new sensor. Since having the 640g and new Guardian transmitter I've not been able to extend the sensor life beyond 6 days whatever I try either by reconnect old sensor/start new sensor/find lost sensor etc. The extra 24 hours on the old transmitter and Veo gave me time, if the sensor ended at an inconvenient time, to keep CGM running until I was able to insert a new sensor plus it was always on the same day of the week.

Has anyone on the 640g and Enlite sensors had any luck in extending the sensor duration beyond 6 days and if so please can you tell me what you did? Thanks.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I certainly haven't,but will keep trying different ways!

Reactions: 2 people

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Flowerpot are you on facebook? I definitely know some people on their have extended their sensors... I couldn't tell you specifically how because I don't have a pump/Cgm yet so it's all slightly 'foreign' to me, but I do know I've seen people with 640gs extend them because I was thinking how good that was... If you do have facebook I *think* I saw it in the group 'T1-cgm information'...

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @-Artemis- , I'm not on facebook but will have a look around to see what I can discover about restarting the sensor after 6 days. Fingers crossed something works !

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
you have to take the transmitter off, give it a little charge and then reattach and then start new sensor

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks candi-girl :) that could well be a challenge too far for me as I'm partially sighted and struggle to see well enough to connect the transmitter to the sensor in the first place. I'll have a try and see if it is possible. It's interesting that the transmitter battery needs a recharge before restarting the sensor as after 6 days sensor use I still had 73% power left in the transmitter battery.

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Ah... If I see the post again; or another similar, I'll copy and paste what I read and post it here... :)

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
you may not have to recharge it then if that's the case but it does have to be removed, wait a few mins and then reattach so it thinks it's a brand new one. def tricky esp being partially sighted

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I'm moving to this system shortly.

I will be self-funding the sensors, are people really only getting 6 days out of the sensors? At £52.50 per sensor that's a bit of a joke.

With over tapping, careful position in an area of limted movement etc, what is the max people are getting out of this sensor?

Any ideas?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi,

I'm moving to this system shortly.

I will be self-funding the sensors, are people really only getting 6 days out of the sensors? At £52.50 per sensor that's a bit of a joke.

With over tapping, careful position in an area of limted movement etc, what is the max people are getting out of this sensor?

Any ideas?
The dexcom you can get 40 - 50 days out of a sensor but the Medtronic sensors are very limited.

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
40-50 days?

I know someone who routinely gets 18-21 days.

Not sure I'd want something inserted in me 40-50 days, bit extreme for me.

Won't be moving to Medtronic if it's only possible to get 6 days out of a sensor.

I'll go with the vibe and the dexcomm.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
40-50 days?

I know someone who routinely gets 18-21 days.

Not sure I'd want something inserted in me 40-50 days, bit extreme for me.

Won't be moving to Medtronic if it's only possible to get 6 days out of a sensor.

I'll go with the vibe and the dexcomm.
Most I've had is 47 days for a sensor :) Sensor is as thick as piece of hair so not noticeable as stuck in you :)

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Update - on Monday evening when my sensor finished after 6 days, I managed to detach the transmitter without dislodging the sensor, charged the transmitter, reattached it and selected Link to new sensor which started the warm up and calibration sequence. I'm now on morning 8 and it's perfectly accurate and picked up a hypo in the night which I double checked with a bg test to make sure it was accurate- it was.

It is a bit of a challenge and next time I will use 2 separate pieces of Opsite Flexifix instead of my normal one large piece, one over the transmitter and one over the sensor so that I can get to the transmitter connection more easily. I'm really please it worked as it is such a waste of a costly sensor not to extend the life if it is possible :).

Reactions: 10 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Well done Fiowerpot I'm on day 7 after recharging the the transmitter,will be interesting to see how long it lasts.Last time I did this I got 8 days and 7 hours.I have a friend who is very interested in micro electronics and is playing with my old transmitter and will be interesting what he comes up with.I will keep everybody updated.

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Really appreciate this flowerpot.
Been keen to know how long it lasts.

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My sensor failed yesterday morning so I got to just over 9 days with it before it stopped sending readings. I tried to reconnect it again but no luck. The accuracy of the sensor remained pretty spot on until it failed.

Reactions: 4 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My latest Enlite sensor has lasted just short of 11 days, I'm pretty pleased with that. It has just stopped recording glucose values and won't restart. It tracked my blood glucose really accurately throughout

Reactions: 9 people

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My latest Enlite sensor has lasted just short of 11 days, I'm pretty pleased with that. It has just stopped recording glucose values and won't restart. It tracked my blood glucose really accurately throughout

Amazing!!! Two questions: where are you wearing it, and how are you doing it...? As you know I'm brand new to CGM and. It even sure which bit I'd need to remove / replace...?!

I'm assuming the bit that needs charging... The gray bit...?

Really pleased to hear as I'll try it with my next sensor too... The one I'm wearing reaches day 6 tomorrow am and it's tracking is still spot on! I was so worried after all I'd read about Dexcom being the best one and the Enlites being rubbish -- but that hasn't been the case for me at all! Well, not on this first one... Fingers crossed long May that continue...! :)

Reactions: 3 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You disconnect the grey semi circular transmitter whilst trying not to pull on the sensor and recharge it. It took my charger about 25 minutes - the green light on the charger stops flashing once the transmitter is fully charged. I reconnected it to the existing sensor and you see 7 - .I think it's 7! - short flashes of a green light on the transmitter to show it has found the sensor. The pump then shows a sensor found message, with either Reconnect to old sensor or link to new sensor. Choose link to new sensor and the pump should immediately start showing the bar across the screen indicating the time until calibration. After that mine worked perfectly until it stopped this pm.

I put my sensor down towards my hip bone before I run out of fat and change from side to side .

It is a bit fiddly removing the transmitter to recharge but well worth it to get nearly 5 days extra spot on readings. I hope you can manage to get it to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people