Meeting with GP!

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Normally when people post topics with the sort of title I've put above they then go on to describe some sort of bizarre mix between the films 1984, Brazil and Catch 22 (or the books if you are that way inclined).

I kind of like reading those posts as they get your blood up and you imagine how you would react to being told to lose weight and take more insulin whilst you're at it. Or the foolishness of hearing Type 2's being told not to test as it will only worry them...

However, this post isn't about that type of meeting; I just came out from meeting my GP who is a wonderful woman; completely sympathetic to my 'crazy Atkins diet', who is proactive and supportive and says 'I wouldn't take statins either', who agrees to change my insulin and blood testing strips without batting an eyelid. I came out of there (having gone for a medication review) feeling positive and inspired to better control my diabetes clutching my prescriptions for Apidra and BG Star test strips. I also got a medical exemption certificate because after 30 years of not ever having had one I've heard on here of people being fined (on a technical basis)for getting free prescriptions without them - maybe worth doing that if you're in the same situation next time you are in your surgery.

Anyway, a wonderful service all in all.

The only downside of course is that this type of service is possibly being threatened by probably well intentioned but badly implemented change. If we all can't get that type of support it's a terrible shame and a terrible loss.

Best

Dillinger

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Don't tell me you come all the way from London to attend my surgery? :wink:

Viv 8)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sounds like you've had a positive outcome Dillinger :thumbup:

Defren

Another brilliant GP! I know it can't be mine, as mine is male. It's really heartwarming to see that some GP's are great. I think the world of my GP he listens and works with me, I wouldn't change him for the world.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
It's really heartwarming to read about this positive experience with your enlightened GP! Nice one Dillinger! :thumbup:

Grazer

Good result Al. I think half the battle is talking to them logically and quietly. Then shouting if you don't get what you want!
Apologies to those who can't get results whatever tactic they employ.

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Not wanting to hijack your thread Dillinger but I also visited my GP for a Pap smear test and I also had a blood test done about a week ago so results should have been in.
She was a young Asian woman as my older, wise GP was on holidays. She aquainted herself with me and I told her that there should be some blood tests back. She found them on the computer and congratulated me on a great fasting BGL of 5.1 and said that was absolutely normal. I agreed. She said that my total cholesterol was at the top end of healthy at 5.6 so I said that didn't mean much and what were my HDL, LDL and trigs? She said that they were all comfortably in range so perhaps I should just be a little more vigilant with my diet eg make sure I had vegetable oils, wholegrains and cut out animal fats. I shook my head emphatically and said that I have been increasing those purposefully over three years and my non diabetic A1c and the individual components of cholesterol show that it works.
She asked if healthy grains were part of my intake and I told her that no grain is healthy for me as they take me out of my range, nor do I eat fruit. She was purplexed but dutifully printed out my results as I told her Dr Vicki always gives them to me.
So trigs at 0.75, HDL 2.19 and LDL 3.1 chol/HDL ratio 2.6 I am comfortable with them.
Indeed all results were good considering I have been in hospital on an antibiotic IV for an infected problem toe (result of a surgery 7 years ago to fuse a dislocated toe which means it does not 'give' when dancing and walking and tends to split open on the underside) for 8 days coming out a week ago.
Nursing staff said that I had the blood pressure of a 21 year old .

Hope that this young lady will grow into a wiser and delightful doctor. My regular GP is more than happy with my status and no medications.
Alison

Unbeliever

The only problem with the GPs in my practice is that none of them will speak to you about your diabetes- or - if forced to do so they spend the time looking nervously over their shoulders with a hunted expression on their faces.

tomorrow I have an appointment with a GP. It is about the results of my recent blood est which was requested at my annual review a a couple of months ago.

I am sure I should have rung for the results but I refused to do so because i am prretty sure I would have been put through to the diabetes nurse. The dr was not pleased at my review , when I told her that the nurse had totally rejected her acceptance of my home bp readings. I feel that she will be even less pleased to hear that it took me twenty minutes to persuade the recepionist to book me in for the blood test ordered by the Dr - she wished o check with the nurse first!
Then , when I turnrd up for the test I was thoroughly scoldeed by the DNs sidekick for daring to have the fasting test ordered by the Dr without first checking with one of the practice nurses. The nurse in question did not seem to be able to ake in the fact that a non-fasting test was of no use. in this case.

her final comment was to commmand me to return in 3 months although i was not duet to return until November = merely because someone had "pressed the wrong button " and the computer was "out of sync!.

There is absolutely no point in talking to this stupid woman. The dr seemed rather surprised at my annual review when asked if i was depressed and why I replied that the nurses depressed me. She commented that I only saw them once a year . Not so.
If they know what they were supposed to be doing i would see them only once a year. even when I don't actually seee them I spend a great deal of time n the phone because they are constantly interfering with my arrangements for blood tests etc and then making a mess of the admin so I am recalled at the wrong imes etc.

I never want to see either of them again.

I do not theinhk the Dr will be pleased o hear that she too is subject to the nurses. perhaps it will be the beginning of a greater understanding of the diffficultieds experienced by patients.

Those of you who are able to see a GP about your diabetes - no mayyer how dire should perhaps be thankful for small mercies.

Practice diabetes Nurses seem not to be included in the recent QOF measures. Maybe they ought to be as they stand in place of a dr for many diabetics Or at least I don't think they do but I may well have misread them.

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Your GP sounds to be as good as mine Dillinger. I'm lucky that she has a special interest in diabetics and has been incredibly supportive since the day she realised I'd had a stroke. She's quite happy to let me manage my diabetes in my own way and has geniunely delighted with how I have done. She says I am an inspiration :)

Unbeliever

I am not trying to hi-jack your thread Dillinger.but further to my post above I saw the Dr this morning and aired all my complainta about the Nurses. She was genuinely taken aback by my description of how overbearing and offensive they can be bu had no difficulty in accepting it.

She iwas quite upse when I old her the effect thy had on me and the dfact that I felt quite alone in dealing with my diabetes.

She is going to do her best to tackle the problem. She agreed that the Nurses just onbject to my taking control of my diabetes
and said that they ended to be very rigid.
She said that although there are severe , inflexible arges fr diabetes control this should not be apparebt to the patient and the HCPs should work with the patient.

Although my total cholesterol ratio has risen {HDLs quite high} she is happy to take me off statins because although I don't meet the target she is not concerned. My HdLs and total cholesterol has risen a fair bit since I began low carbing.

I am actually hopeful that hings may change because hs particular GP is doing more of the diabees clinics - formerly it was whoever is available - and seems to have done her research since my last HBA1C a few months ago.