1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Memory Loss

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Theabbott, May 19, 2015.

1. Theabbott

Theabbott Type 1 · Newbie

Hi guys I'm 16 year old and have had diabetes since I was 2 years old. Recently in attempts of lowering my blood sugar my blood sugars have been awfully low and in fact I've had quite a few seizures (which have been quickly attended to)

Anyways will these lows have a permanent impact on my memory which is so bad at this moment, I'm currently revising for my exam and I'll read a short sentence 20 times and after that I'll try saying it without reading and I get stuck. Will my memory improve as my sugar levels go up?

Additionally my doctor told me diabetic seizures have a permanent scarring damage to the brain will these few seizures do any serious damage to my young brain? I haven't had one in a while but I've had around 7 in these last 6 months.

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Your bad memory could be down to the stress of your exams, we all become forgetful when under stress.

No one can answer your question about the long-term damage I'm afraid, but you should try and avoid hypo's wherever possible and test your bg regularly so that you catch the low bg levels in the early stages and treat accordingly.

3. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hi, Theabbott.
    Interesting you mention this.. I actually remember being told this by my doctors up until back in the 1980s.
    Though I only came close to one seizure when I was about 10 years old..
    Certainly for me, the proffessional emphasis for the last 20 years was "loss of hypo awareness" with frequent hypos.
    Like I mentioned I have never passed out. So they may have felt there was no need to caution me thusly....?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook