Menopausal??

avi

Dislikes
people who act like they are the diabetic police!!!
Hi everyone

Can anyone tell me the average age for a type 1 female to go through the menopause. I'll be 44 on Thursday and my hormones seem to be playing havoc - have been going from high to hypo from one week to another. Also very tired and like a bear with a sore head - apparently.

thanks
Avi

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
My wife is neither T1 or T2 and she started all the symptoms just before her 45th birthday. All HRT did was make her more aggressive and sweaty so they soon got ditched. It dragged on for around 6 years before tailing off. . . I dread to think how rough she would have felt been being a T1 at the same time. You have my sympathy.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I don't know that diabetic women experience menopause differently from non-diabetics. I read somewhere that the average age of menopause in this country is about 50, but there are some very young and some much older women. I've know 30 year olds who have completed menopause and my own grandmother was well into her 60s.
Go see your GP they have a blood test which can tell you for sure.
Hana

scoyyt57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been T1 for 46 years. I went through the menopause without any problems. Started when I was 49 with heavy periods which lasted for 3 months or so, then 1 hot flush and that was it. My DSN arranged a blood test which showed I was post menopausal. Had loads of problems with puberty though was in and out of hospital loads then-so maybe thats the answer-bad puberty easy menopause :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Not necessarily Scotty
I had no trouble with either
Hana

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
High blood glucose levels and/or the subsequent weight loss can affect menstruation.
I thought I had stopped because of the menopause over 6 months before diagnosis, as soon as glucose levels were normal my periods returned. They carried on for another 3 years.

Juli

I'm 49 and am finding that pre-period my blood sugars have started going through the roof. Period arrives and then everything is fine again for 10 days or so. This the only hint for me of being menopausal. Huge worry though these inexplicable blood sugars as now I have to find the right insulin correction rates.