Mental health and T1 diabetes

RollingJovi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed with T1 in December 1993 and now I'm 37 years old. I've always struggled with my diabetes and also with my mental health too ever since being diagnosed. I actually suffer also from Paranoid Schizophrenia which hit me like a brick in my early stages of diabetes. I hear voices that tell me to overdose on insulin all the time and currently have district nurses visiting me twice a day to help me with doses.

I was ok until I went on a DAFNE course and mixed with my mental health it messed it all up for me. I'm currently on 3 doses of 8 units of Humalog and 2 doses of 12 units of Levemir. I was looking into the pros and cons of an insulin pump and what anyone thought of me going down this road?

I want to take some control back from the diabetes and improve my mental health too. I'm being seen by diabetes team in hospital and also mental health services. Any suggestions of what may help would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Freema and himtoo

brittyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am a parent of the sufferer and at the moment carrying out research on how diabetes and possibly just sugar levels affect mental health. I am type 1 diabetes also and on insulin but suffered for 4 years prior diagnosis for diabetes of OCD thoughts. I am on Levemir morning and night and Novo rapid during the day. It would be interesting to see if when your levels are fluctuating does the thoughts increase or is it the medication itself. Keep in touch.

Reactions: himtoo

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi Rollingjovi and welcome to the forum.
Are you on any medication for your mental health issues?
I have recently come off anti depressants and that itself was an eye opener.
You have come to the right place as there is lots of help on here.
I have not considered a pump but not for any particular reason other than I'm happy injecting.
We are all different and the one thing I have learnt over the last 43 years of being a type 1 is to be never certain of anything.

Good luck
Tony

RollingJovi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have a diagnosis of Paranoid Schizophrenia and it seems the auditory hallucinations they say I hear is somewhat troubling me. I find it very difficult to manage my diabetes properly and on a self care basis.

I find those hallucinatory voices control almost everything I do when it comes to insulin dosages.

Reactions: Freema

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There was a member here last year with schizophrenia and Type 1 but I don't think he's been online for months - @Samael_Coughlan

@RollingJovi I have no experience of mental health issues like you have but I'm wondering if maybe twice a day mixed insulin would help you? That way perhaps your nurses could supervise your two injections and you would have less to think about as you'd be on fixed doses two times a day.

It's not as flexible as some regimes but nice and simple and has its benefits.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a diagnosis of Paranoid Schizophrenia and it seems the auditory hallucinations they say I hear is somewhat troubling me. I find it very difficult to manage my diabetes properly and on a self care basis.

I find those hallucinatory voices control almost everything I do when it comes to insulin dosages.

Switching to a pump is still a basal bolus regime. You would still have to bolus for food. And you would still control your basal dosage with setting you basal rate and access to temporary basal rates. If anything a pump gives you rather more immediate flexibility over insulin dosages - it gives you more control. Which is great if the control is going to you. Not so good if the control is going to hallucinatory voices.

How were you treating your diabetes befor DAFNE?

It sounds like it's the basal bolus regiem you are struggling with. What exactly do the district nurses do on their twice daily visits to help you with this? As you're on fixed meal time doses and not carb counting are you on fixed carb content meals?

Have you considered a mixed insulin regime? Then you'd be on two shots a day of mixed insulin, you'd have to eat fixed amounts of carbs at fixed times. But less personal responsibility over the insulin dosages, you could do supervised injecting, see if that helps you control the voices.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi @RollingJovi
I will start by saying TOTAL respect to you for coming on the forum and posting your story.

I just want to give you a giant hug and I hope that you can get some answers that will assist you in daily control.

I take part in a therapy group that deals with Diabetes , weight , and mental health issues -- so I know that you are not alone in how you are feeling.( big hugs x)

my best advice is to try and be really kind to yourself , take each day as it comes , take tiny tiny steps forward ( in terms of control ) give yourself hugs for the things you feel you do well with -- and definitely no pressure for the things you are not happy with.

we are constantly measured by our care teams ( at appointments ) so it is no surprise we feel pressure to DO the right thing.

I am on the forum pretty regularly so if you wish to chat more send me a pm and I will be happy to chat

all the best
himtoo ( paul )

Last edited:

RollingJovi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The district nurses dial the doses and then let me administer the shot of insulin myself. Even when they dial up I still get voices that I have to ignore to dial up more insulin.

My diabetes team are very bad they don't turn up to mental health appointments when I asked and they feel as if I should just be managing and won't talk about how my mental health impacts on my diabetes

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Mental health and its impact on our Diabetes is a big area of concern for a lot of us.
I would suggest keep ringing your Diabetic nurse until you get commitment from her that they will assist you more and better.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with T1 in December 1993 and now I'm 37 years old. I've always struggled with my diabetes and also with my mental health too ever since being diagnosed. I actually suffer also from Paranoid Schizophrenia which hit me like a brick in my early stages of diabetes. I hear voices that tell me to overdose on insulin all the time and currently have district nurses visiting me twice a day to help me with doses.

I was ok until I went on a DAFNE course and mixed with my mental health it messed it all up for me. I'm currently on 3 doses of 8 units of Humalog and 2 doses of 12 units of Levemir. I was looking into the pros and cons of an insulin pump and what anyone thought of me going down this road?

I want to take some control back from the diabetes and improve my mental health too. I'm being seen by diabetes team in hospital and also mental health services. Any suggestions of what may help would be greatly appreciated.

I want to send you a virtual hug for all What you are figthing against please stay here for help and support dear

spook_kate_

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
I'm so so sorry, you must be going through a very difficult time. I'm on meds for depression and bipolar and doing fairly well now. Wasn't doing well for past 5+ yrs. It really isn't easy big {{{hugs}}}
Hope you get better support!! Give yourself a well earned pat on the back!! Chin up

Reactions: himtoo

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....

Apologies for taking so long to reply.
I have had no experiences of auditory hallucinations so I find myself unable to comment on your problems further.
That makes me sad because during my battle with depression I found people simply didn't understand what I was going through.
I'm over the worst but still have some dark days.
Its made me a different person.
If you feel like me then I can at least empathise even if I'm not able to comment on the voices.

I wish you well I really do.

Tony