Mental Health/diabetes control

Beth_Robinson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dilema:
when I'm depressed I am completely apathetic towards my diabetes - I don't check my bloodsugar and my sugars are too high which of course makes me feel worse and just generally horrible
I've tried to break out of this cycle but nothing ever works for more than a week and I'm back into old habits again
I exercise quite a lot when I'm 'up' then go to just nothing when I come crashing back down
so basically everything is super erratic all of the time which impacts my blood sugars greatly
So I'm wondering if anyone's found any really good apps/websites/ just general tactics for keeping bloodsugars under control, particularly when you're struggling with other stuff
Thank you!!:cyclops:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Beth, have you discussed the difficulties you are experiencing with your diabetes team, if not then I recommend that you do as something like depression needs to be addressed and not left to linger on.

However there's a few resources that could help with your diabetes management which you might want to look at, one is the following http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/ and there's also some good books to read such as Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner and Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults by Ragnar Hanas, but please see your gp or diabetes team and make them aware of how your feeling. Good luck.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Beth,

I went though a period of this, it was more like going into auto pilot for me and I did get very low, it took me a long time to admit to how I was feeling and I got anti depressants for a while to pick me up again, however the best therapy I found was getting into meditation and becoming more 'mindful' of my condition, so rather than worrying about the future to try living in the present and enjoying my food more rather than seeing it as a necessary object to treat my condition along with my insulin. I personally don't feel anti depressants are great as they mask the situation, a quick pick up when you get down is to go for a walk in the country or a park, somewhere green, also try deep breathing and just focus on breathing in and out, it calms the mind. Talk this through with your nurse or doctor, how your feeling is perfectly natural but it's finding a strategy that works best for you. Let me know how you get on too ;)

colin5678

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Beth,
I have recently been diagnosed with depression and post traumatic stress disorder and at one stage didn't get out of bed for three days.I stopped taking my medications and testing my blood glucose readings which wasn't good.Fortunately my GP referred me to the local mental health people who have been great at helping me.using cognitive behaviour therapy. Chat to your GP about this as its important.
As Juicyj says find something that works for you; maybe exercising or swimming when your down.
Good luck anyway :)