Merry Christmas! Watch this if you'd like to turn your health around in the New Year

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
This is one of the most concise presentations I have seen on how to understand why diabetes develops and how to fix it.

I hope it helps someone. I wish I'd known about this 20 years ago.

Reactions: ianf0ster

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
And while you are at it, let him challenge your beliefs about FIBRE and CONSTIPATION.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We usually watch “ A Christmas Carol “ this time of year.:banghead::banghead:

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Dr.Paul Mason also does some interesting presentation on autoimmune problems and food. He's a smart guy, great videos
@Cocosilk

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Dr.Paul Mason also does some interesting presentation on autoimmune problems and food. He's a smart guy, great videos
@Cocosilk

I need to watch more of his. I'm still hoping someone will tell me what causes the dermatitis I have had on my hands for 20 years. I thought Paul Mason might have something about it. Dermatitis is autoimmune related I think so I'll have to check those out too.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I need to watch more of his. I'm still hoping someone will tell me what causes the dermatitis I have had on my hands for 20 years. I thought Paul Mason might have something about it. Dermatitis is autoimmune related I think so I'll have to check those out too.

You may have to do some googling, I can't remember which one of his it is.

Reactions: Cocosilk

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Gluten, or I should refine that to handling foods, like bread, causes me skin issues. I am strictly GF, but do make my OH a sandwich sometimes at lunch.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Gluten, or I should refine that to handling foods, like bread, causes me skin issues. I am strictly GF, but do make my OH a sandwich sometimes at lunch.

I haven't been eating gluten foods for a good while but it's not cleared up yet. I tried a couple of weeks with no milk (but still cheese and yoghurt). It got a bit better but then still flared up again after one night that I drank a little alcohol - so I figure that is one possible trigger. But not the main one because I don't drink regularly. I need to try a few weeks with no dairy at all and see if it still keeps flaring up. Then I need to look at things like lectins and oxalates and other anti-nutrients from my salads maybe.

One incidental finding (when wading through pressure cooked lamb meat to remove the bones) is that lamb fat makes a wonderful moisturiser (if you don't mind smelling like mutton..ha ha). It's helping the inflamed skin heal faster anyway.

Reactions: Energize

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't been eating gluten foods for a good while but it's not cleared up yet. I tried a couple of weeks with no milk (but still cheese and yoghurt). It got a bit better but then still flared up again after one night that I drank a little alcohol - so I figure that is one possible trigger. But not the main one because I don't drink regularly. I need to try a few weeks with no dairy at all and see if it still keeps flaring up. Then I need to look at things like lectins and oxalates and other anti-nutrients from my salads maybe.

One incidental finding (when wading through pressure cooked lamb meat to remove the bones) is that lamb fat makes a wonderful moisturiser (if you don't mind smelling like mutton..ha ha). It's helping the inflamed skin heal faster anyway.

Infuriatingly, it can take several weeks for impacts of gluten to clear the system - in my case anyway.

When I was told to go GF, I thought it'd be a dawdle, being low card, but it wasn't that straightforward. The "big glutens", like bread/pasta and the like are easy, the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cola drinks and so on (Very far from an exhaustive list) can throw may a curved ball.

Of course, I'm not saying you are still eating gluten; just reporting my personal findings and observations.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Infuriatingly, it can take several weeks for impacts of gluten to clear the system - in my case anyway.

When I was told to go GF, I thought it'd be a dawdle, being low card, but it wasn't that straightforward. The "big glutens", like bread/pasta and the like are easy, the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cola drinks and so on (Very far from an exhaustive list) can throw may a curved ball.

Of course, I'm not saying you are still eating gluten; just reporting my personal findings and observations.

I don't think I was eating much gluten until yesterday (Christmas) when I dared to eat a slice of bread that my husband made - just so I could spread lard on it from the ham we baked. So I did directly ingest gluten yesterday. But that was intentional exposure.

Otherwise though, culprits are just as likely to be oxalates in chocolate or vege that I eat more regularly I think.

Although there are a few places I didn't think to check for gluten - like my supplements. And I did use soy sauce in the past not realising it had gluten in it. So there might still be something I'm eating that has gluten in it that I haven't realised.

Thanks for bring it up.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

yup.
Gluten triggers my psoriasis.

took me a long time to work it out, and it was a shock to discover quite how little gluten is needed to produce symptoms.

nowadays i take the extent of skin symptoms as a gauge of inflammation through the rest of my body (joints, guts and CRP). very rough and ready, but still useful.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think I was eating much gluten until yesterday (Christmas) when I dared to eat a slice of bread that my husband made - just so I could spread lard on it from the ham we baked. So I did directly ingest gluten yesterday. But that was intentional exposure.

Otherwise though, culprits are just as likely to be oxalates in chocolate or vege that I eat more regularly I think.

Although there are a few places I didn't think to check for gluten - like my supplements. And I did use soy sauce in the past not realising it had gluten in it. So there might still be something I'm eating that has gluten in it that I haven't realised.

Thanks for bring it up.

i have learned from experience that gluten reactions are not as simple as you describe.They are nowhere near as linear as you might expect.

for instance, my noticeable gluten reaction starts with itchy ears (inside the ear canal) about a day after gluten exposure. Then things go quiet for 2 days. On the third day, the psoriasis starts, and lasts for between 2 and 6 weeks (depending on amount, and whether I had more than one 'exposure'). the joint flare ups seem to happen on days 3? to 14?
All timings approximate.
The gut flareups are days 2-5.

Now, I'm not suggesting that you experience the same.
What I AM suggesting is that thinking 1 slice toast => sore skin the next day is like confusing a computer with an abacus.

'They' (expert healthcare professionals working with coeliac and non-coeliac gluten intolerace) say that it may take 3-4 months of ZERO gluten exposure to be free of all the symptoms. and many people are astonished at the things that 'clear up' that they never connected with gluten as a cause.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i have learned from experience that gluten reactions are not as simple as you describe.They are nowhere near as linear as you might expect.

for instance, my noticeable gluten reaction starts with itchy ears (inside the ear canal) about a day after gluten exposure. Then things go quiet for 2 days. On the third day, the psoriasis starts, and lasts for between 2 and 6 weeks (depending on amount, and whether I had more than one 'exposure'). the joint flare ups seem to happen on days 3? to 14?
All timings approximate.

What I AM suggesting is that thinking 1 slice toast => sore skin the next day is like confusing a computer with an abacus.

'They' (expert healthcare professionals working with coeliac and non-coeliac gluten intolerace) say that it may take 3-4 months of ZERO gluten exposure to be free of all the symptoms. and many people are astonished at the things that 'clear up' that they never connected with gluten as a cause.

I'd like to agree several times.

@Cocosilk - When I gave my Endo feedback on it, after I'd been GF for for about a year. When I told him how aghast I'd been - from about 3 months in, he suggested that if folks are serious about it, then the minimum trial period needs to be about 6 month. Weeks just aren't enough.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another that is gluten intolerant when I am really strict about it then I find real improvements but if I then have any amount of gluten- sick as a dog.

I have to say that is one of the (unseen) benefits of the very low carb- I'm not eating anything with gluten in at all. You can get gluten free soy sauce which we switched to some time ago but otherwise I'm becoming more and more carnivore- which a year ago I could never ever imagine happening. I was more envisaging becoming more vegetarian. But now carnivore is easier as requires now worrying about carbs.

I watched the first video and was really impressed- have a science degree and I really like watching evidence that has been scientifically tested. Though my regular testing is enough to convince me that low carb actually works. I found the bit about vegetable oils very interesting.

Thanks for posting- it is one of the things I love about this site- something for everyone and easy learning. Thanks!

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin

All timings approximate.

Wow, you know my ear canals were itching like crazy last night (and do quite regularly) and I never realised that could be linked to gluten sensitivity or allergy or anything like that, but it makes sense! I'm learning so much from all of you here!
It's like little pieces in a big puzzle!

I'll probably have to start a proper food diary to work out what causes the dermatitis on my hands.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's like little pieces in a big puzzle!

I'll probably have to start a proper food diary to work out what causes the dermatitis on my hands.

Hi Cocosilk

One thing I would caution against is after finding and eliminating a food or food group that causes you problems is to believe you have found the solution.

One instance for me..
... aa a child I suffered from eczema and asthma and badly cracked corners of my mouth. No medications or solutions were offered for the lips although I had steroids for the skin and lungs.

Then, in the mid 80s, I had a bout of incredibly cracked lips. Wound up with a young doctor who told me it was from licking my lips and diagnosed 'lip-smacking eczema'. I knew any lip-licking was a symptom and looked for other reasons but found none. Eventually it mostly went away popping up in mild versions which I ignored as 'life-stuff'.
Forward to 15 years later and I went on a diet for a small amount of weight gain and noticed my lips again became swollen and irritated and then cracked badly within 2 hours of eating cottage cheese or yoghurt. Further experimentation showed that I reacted consistently to milk protein not lactose and that butter seemed OK. Cue another 15 years of avoiding milk proteins in foodstuffs and reading labels.
Recently, I went low carb and suffered inflammation and cracked lips when I ate asparagus - Dr Google indicated some people react to asparagus so I dropped it from my foods. I was never a fan anyway. The cracked lips subsided but not as fast as expected and I started getting them again with almost any foods and it was without resolution. More research with Dr Google who indicated that people on low carb may need to eat a lot more salt. I 'knew' this as not eating processed food meant I didnt have an unseen base intake and had already been adding some. I upped my intake and the problem seemed to ease. It's mentally quite hard to add salt, like adding fat, as we have been advised to avoid both and also my serum sodium levels always butt up against the top threshold range.
A bit more experimenting shows I can mitigate cracked lips by salting my food more and not eliminating cottage cheese or milk or asparagus.
Perhaps lack of sodium has been the problem all along. I hope so as it is simple to fix. Am I sure? No.
What I do know is that I 'knew' for a fact that I was intolerant to milk protein and needed to avoid it.
YMMV. but I'm skeptical of the results of every experiment and trial, especially ones I conduct on myself! :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Cocosilk

One thing I would caution against is after finding and eliminating a food or food group that causes you problems is to believe you have found the solution.

One instance for me..
... aa a child I suffered from eczema and asthma and badly cracked corners of my mouth. No medications or solutions were offered for the lips although I had steroids for the skin and lungs.

Then, in the mid 80s, I had a bout of incredibly cracked lips. Wound up with a young doctor who told me it was from licking my lips and diagnosed 'lip-smacking eczema'. I knew any lip-licking was a symptom and looked for other reasons but found none. Eventually it mostly went away popping up in mild versions which I ignored as 'life-stuff'.
Forward to 15 years later and I went on a diet for a small amount of weight gain and noticed my lips again became swollen and irritated and then cracked badly within 2 hours of eating cottage cheese or yoghurt. Further experimentation showed that I reacted consistently to milk protein not lactose and that butter seemed OK. Cue another 15 years of avoiding milk proteins in foodstuffs and reading labels.
Recently, I went low carb and suffered inflammation and cracked lips when I ate asparagus - Dr Google indicated some people react to asparagus so I dropped it from my foods. I was never a fan anyway. The cracked lips subsided but not as fast as expected and I started getting them again with almost any foods and it was without resolution. More research with Dr Google who indicated that people on low carb may need to eat a lot more salt. I 'knew' this as not eating processed food meant I didnt have an unseen base intake and had already been adding some. I upped my intake and the problem seemed to ease. It's mentally quite hard to add salt, like adding fat, as we have been advised to avoid both and also my serum sodium levels always butt up against the top threshold range.
A bit more experimenting shows I can mitigate cracked lips by salting my food more and not eliminating cottage cheese or milk or asparagus.
Perhaps lack of sodium has been the problem all along. I hope so as it is simple to fix. Am I sure? No.
What I do know is that I 'knew' for a fact that I was intolerant to milk protein and needed to avoid it.
YMMV. but I'm skeptical of the results of every experiment and trial, especially ones I conduct on myself! :)

Hi @Lotties

has anyone ever mentioned vit B deficiencies to you regarding your lips?
https://www.healthline.com/health/split-lip#seeing-a-doctor

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-deficiency#3