Metaformin not working as well ?

carls1976

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The last few days my blood sugar levels seem to be higher than normal I have not changed eating habits or excerise levels is it possible the Metaformin isn't working as well and does it being a different manufacturer than usual make any difference
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin does not have a marked effect on blood sugars. I am told they have other benefits. Your problem may be elsewhere.

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have not found different manufactures caused any big differences, how much metformin are you on at the moment? If not on the max it might need tweaking the dosage but see your doctor or DN to see if this needs doing.

If you are on the max like me and your BS is rising you might need to have additional meds to help bring your levels down.

What readings are you getting? your doctor may well as for a new HbA1c test so they can compare them to your last results. I recently had 3 HbA1c tests done over a couple of months which showed my BS rising and eventually gliclazide was added to the cocktail of meds.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As others have said, Metformin won't have a great effect on your blood sugar; perhaps 1-2 mmol. If you are already on a low'ish-carb diet, then you may need your meds to be increased. Metformin is best for those who are overweight and insulin resistant. Gliclazide can be more suitable if you are not overweight. I don't think there is much variation between manufacturers?

carls1976

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
pav said:
I have not found different manufactures caused any big differences, how much metformin are you on at the moment? If not on the max it might need tweaking the dosage but see your doctor or DN to see if this needs doing.

If you are on the max like me and your BS is rising you might need to have additional meds to help bring your levels down.

What readings are you getting? your doctor may well as for a new HbA1c test so they can compare them to your last results. I recently had 3 HbA1c tests done over a couple of months which showed my BS rising and eventually gliclazide was added to the cocktail of meds.
around 8 from wake but it doesnt seem to really going lower than 7, where as usually i would go down to around 5 around 2 hours after eating or less, and im on 500 3 times a day

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The max metformin you can take is 3000 mg, that's 6 tablets a day, but you will need to talk to your doctor before increasing any meds. When I last spoke to the diabetic screening nurse she said they increase your meds to the max of each type before changing / adding another medication, don't know if all docs follow this route regarding metformin.