Meters measuring % or mmol?

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
I have a Freestyle Lite and quite happy with it. But with the new figures now changing from % to mmol, do newer meters measure in mmol?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

LaughingHyena

I thought all UK meters measured in mmol / L, though I know other countries use different units.

The only time I have come across % readings is with the HbA1c tests from the doctors. I know these are supposed to have changed but I still seem to get mine as a %. My last one was June this year.

Md.rose

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have changed Doctors as my previous one retired, he used the older measure, and my new one is using the new figures. I also had my first ever meeting with a diabetic nurse and I asked about this, and she gave me the readings in old and new figures. You can see conversion on the DCUK website. Strange that doctors are using different measure, as the change occurred in 2011 in UK.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Your home meter will read the same way it has always done.

Blood glucose meters here in the UK measure in mmol/L (Millimoles per litre). In the USA and some other countries they measure in mg/dl (milligrams per deciliter).

No home bg meters give results as a %.

The measurements that have changed are for the HbA1c, the blood tests where blood is taken from a vein by a doctor/nurse at your GP's surgery or a hospital, these used to be shown as a % or DCCT (Diabetes Control and Complications Trial) but are now shown in the new standard which is IFCC (International Federation of Clinical Chemistry) units.

Most doctors now give the HbA1c in the new IFCC measurement ie 32 as opposed to the old DCCT measurement of 5.1%. However some doctors are still offering the HbA1c results in both the old and the new to help people get used to the new system.

Personally I think it is making it harder to change as I still relate to the old system better, but I guess i'll get used to the new numbers one day.