1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Meters

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by mammamia2006, Sep 19, 2015.

1. mammamia2006

mammamia2006 · Guest

I am a t1 diabetic and have about 4 or 5 brand new meters sitting in the boxes unused if anyobe would like one?

Not fair t2 should have to pay when I get for free.

• Like Like x 2
  2. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I'll respond as a means of bumping your post.

The main issue for T2s isn't acquiring a meter, but the strips. The meter is a one-off purchase, whereas the strips are consumables, and the costly element.

Many of us tend to use the SD Codefree meter, because the strips are so reasonably priced. Provided one can buy in modest bulk (5 pots at a time), the price comes down from around £7 a pot to £5. By comparison, most of the big name strips are over £20 for the same number of strips. It makes a pretty compelling argument.

Perhaps if you add the model names to your original post, people might have them. Some of us do have a "spare" meter, we have for "emergencies" or to compare the odd reading.

• Like Like x 2
  3. fredericmarcel

fredericmarcel Type 2 · Active Member

• Like Like x 2
  4. mammamia2006

mammamia2006 · Guest

I have 2 Contour Next meters, 2 Contour Next USB meters and one Accu-Chek Mobile meter.

5. fredericmarcel

The Contour Next USB would be great.
    Is it possible to send it to France?
    If not, I can manage to give you an address in England, but it would take more time.
    I do not trust my meter anymore (OneTouch Verio iq) and that is quite annoying.

6. fredericmarcel

Of course, I will be happy to pay for the delivery

7. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

Ir's a very kind offer, @mammamia2006 - but it's the actual ongoing cost of test strips that''s generally a problem for us type 2s. I paid peanuts for my first meter (an Accuchek Nano) and was luckly enough to get my current meter as a freebie, but I still need to pay through the nose for my test strips.

Robbity

8. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have had various meters sent to me free but I don't get strips on prescription so I bought a codefree and now use that although I prefer my avviva nano and I sometimes find cheap strips on the internet
    CAROL

9. ButtterflyLady

ButtterflyLady Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You are so kind for offering these to us. Thank you :)

• Like Like x 4
  10. hanham97

hanham97 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I get my strips for free now. Very grateful to my new diabetic team.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook