Metformin 500x2 to 2000x2

ExPat-Moscow

Im somewhat concerned about my Doc wanting to change my dosage.

Diagnosed in Russia about two years ago and been on 500 twice a day metformin, plus Januvia 100mg once a day. Came back to uk and had to do all the tests again. Doc said I seem to be managing my levels very well and they are as good as it gets.... However they did put me back on Statins as my Cholesterol was in quite the opposite position..

Then told me that they were to increase my medication to 2 x 2000 Metformin, as it protects against heart atacks and this was now the standard for the UK.

Has anyone else seen their doc upping their dosage even though they are maintaining via diet and exersize and minimum metformin?

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hate to second guess a doctor on the matter of medicine prescriptions but as far as I know the recommended dosage for metformin is 2000mg daily and the maximum is 3000mg.

I know this because I had a recent conversation on the subject with my doctor as, when I asked to go on a metformin only regime from combination 100mg Januvia/ 1700mg metformin I was on, he initially put me on 2450mg of metformin, which struck me as too high.Since then metformin has been reduced back to 1700mg daily

You have been prescribed 4000mg of metformim plus 100mg Januvia daily?

Do not want to alarm you but I would seek clarification from your doctor and possibly a second opinion before going on such a high dosage,

Regards

Pavlos

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App