Metformin - 7 weeks on and 'out of sorts'!

Jual

I know there'll be someone out there with some thoughts so here I go again! I always know where to go in a crisis now! :idea:

So...after initially wanting to give up Metformin after 4 days I've persevered and am now on 500mg 1 x am 1 x pm and the unpleasant bits of it are mainly gone...well except for the wind anyway.

BUT for the past few weeks I've been a bit out of sorts, nothing specific just... :shock:
Broken sleep....itchy eyes....sweating for no reason...can only drive for 30 mins before losing concentration and nearly falling asleep...weight gain/bloated...dry mouth..any ideas...could it be related or am I just the wrong side of 55!

Thankyou in anticipation...
Jual

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Probably should see a doctor. Are you female/ , in which case age might be an issue. they have a blood test for that too.

ChocFish

Jual, what are your bg readings like?

Sorry to hear that you are still not feeling so good, give us a bit more info, hopefully we can help you sort this out.

Karen

Jual

BG has varied between lowest 5.6 -on the first day - which I thought brilliant up to 14.6 which wasn't so brilliant. I only take it every few days because of the cost but my morning ones before breakfast average anything between about 8.5 to 13.

Jual

ChocFish

Jual you are still getting quite high readings, I really think that is why you are still feeling so out of sorts?
You need to test more often, your GP should prescribe more test strips for you, tell him/her that you do need to test so that you can work out which foods give you high readings so that you can either reduce them or cut them out from your diet altogether. Or maybe you need more medication to help lower your bg, do you do low carb at all?

Karen

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
You need to see if you can get more test strips from the doctor.Your BS is quite high.

Jual

My doctor won't prescribe test strips but I agree it would be easier to see what was affecting me foodwise if I tested more. I'll make an appointment with her to see if she'll reconsider. I'm on thyroxine as well so get a bit confused about what affects what.

I tend to try to do low GI but think I need to get a bit more focussed on what I'm eating.I'm still a relative newbie at this and still sorting out what's what in the scheme of things.

Many thanks to you all for thoughts.
Jual

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Refer her to the NICE guidelines which say that type 2's should be given all the help to maintain their BS and that surely includes being able to test to see what foods affect their BS.

ChocFish

Sadly some people have problems getting enough test strips on prescription, read about the horrors poor chocoholic had to go through to finally get what she needs to help her manage her diabetes.
You might just have to be really persistent and stand your ground, its essential that you test more, have you got the book by Dr Bernstein, The Diabetes Solution? If not, then please try to get hold of it, it will really help you understand things much better.

All the best
Karen

Jual

Hi..just come back from seeing the doctor...what a turn round! I now have 100 test strips on a 3 month repeat prescription, had blood tests for my thyroid levels & liver function- results tomorrow.I'm holding out hope it's my thyroid and not the diabetes.

Many thanks for all advice...and now I need to start a testing regime!
Jual :D

Jual

Sorry I meant 100 for a month on a 3 month repeat, so about 3 a day. Come to think of it that's still not a lot is it? So when is the best time to use my 3 a day? Goodness I can now see how little that is, doesn't even let you test before and after meals does it. What do you recommend I do for the best then..and when?
Jual

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Well I would suggest,one for first thing in the morning then the other two for testing before and after a meal during the day. If you normally eat the same thing for breakfast you will have some idea on the BS levels there.So one day test before and after lunch ,another before and after dinner.If you are having a specific thing to eat you want to test then use them for that meal.