1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Metformin & Alcohol

Discussion in 'Metformin/Biguanides' started by endomorph, Jan 28, 2013.

1. endomorph

endomorph · Member

I was sitting reading my Metformin drug information leaflet last night and I read "Not to be taken with alcohol" several times.

Nobody has ever told me this.

Is it true and what are the effects of it ?

Thanks

2. Superchip

Superchip · Well-Known Member

endomorph....

I drink a lot, mostly vodka and whisky, and take metformin most days, my hba1c is 36 (5.4%) bit low I think !

If you listen to the quacks, dsn's, hcps. etc, breathing is bad for you ! Listen to your own body...

They just like their paypackets ! They spin out the usual diatribe that they are paid to pertpetrate...

Superchip.............

3. ))Denise((

))Denise(( Type 2 · Well-Known Member

4. drunkenmonkey

drunkenmonkey · Member

Re: Metformin & Alcohol

I agree with you both. I drink and take metformin (12 years). No problems but certain people may be pre-disposed to the side effects.

5. mo1905

mo1905 Type 1 · BANNED

I like a few beers and take 2 metformin daily and no problems so far. Not saying it's healthy but you still need to let go now and again !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

6. Chrisspiller

Chrisspiller Type 2 · Active Member

I too take Metformin and have the occasional Whisky, Vodka or Gin, and I've noticed no effect other than low blood sugars! I would be interested to know what the side effects were though.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook