Metformin - am I dim?

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
Being a Type 2, I've been on Metformin for nearly two years and have been ok with it although it's recently been increased to 1g twice a day.

I just don't understand what actual damage is going on after I have a cup of tea with milk. This is cow's milk and I don't like tea without it. My BS might be 'ok' before the tea but it rockets immediately afterwards. The culprit is the small amount of sugars in the dash of milk. I like a cup of tea at bedtime and then my bs will be above the desirable level when I do a fast test first thing in the morning. If I don't have tea, the test comes up at a good level.

I never feel any different but wonder what damage is actually being done while my sugars are higher and from that small amount of milk. I just don't understand.

Do any experts know the answer? I can't cut the milk out.

Russ

martinbuchan

Does a cup of coffee do the same?

Caffeine produces 15% more insulin resistance in Type 2. It could be that. There is not a lot of sugar in a dash of milk.

The caffeines in tea are less strong but might explain it. Try the caffeine free types as an experiment.

Marty B

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I was thinking lactose intolerance but I think Martin is on the better track.

Knowledge is the key to control

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
Many thanks - I'm following up the decaf tea but monitoring and life are a bit complicated at the moment so will follow up soon.

Russ