Metformin and blood rush in leg

wookie101

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I've only recently been diagnosed a few weeks ago, I've changed my diet and lost 8Kg in 4 weeks and the metformin I think has really been helping and I've been lucky with the side effects, only the occasional stomach, so can't complain.

But this week I've noticed that I keep getting a rush of blood in my right leg about half way up from my ankle.... Has anyone else had this? Just seems really odd.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I've only recently been diagnosed a few weeks ago, I've changed my diet and lost 8Kg in 4 weeks and the metformin I think has really been helping and I've been lucky with the side effects, only the occasional stomach, so can't complain.

But this week I've noticed that I keep getting a rush of blood in my right leg about half way up from my ankle.... Has anyone else had this? Just seems really odd.

I'll jump in here.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by a blood rush in your leg. Is it a sensation, or something else?

wookie101

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Its like a hot sensations really warm like a really warm liquid pouring over my shins, lasts about 5 seconds then fades away...

Always happens on my right leg...

Just wondered if anyone else has had this. Never happened before I to metformin.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does it coincide with when your bloods are running high, or if you've just had some exercise?

Some people have commented on hot feet and legs, but I don't recall them associating it with Metformin.

wookie101

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was just driving home from Southampton and all of a sudden there it was again like I was peeing down my leg. There isn't a patten that I can spot, other than it didn't start happening (noticing it) until a week or so ago and I've been on meds for 4 weeks (also get a crushing pain in my chest about 10 mins after I take metformin from time to time)

But my bloods have for the past week been about the 6.5 bracket (well down from 20.0 when I started) and if I'm really good I manage 5.1, but I am still learming on what to eat (or rather whats good for me to eat).

To me it appears random on the leg blood. I haven't started any exercise so far but I have lost 8Kg in the past few weeks aswell. I just thought thought it might have been sometime common, but perhaps just one of those rare things....

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was just driving home from Southampton and all of a sudden there it was again like I was peeing down my leg. There isn't a patten that I can spot, other than it didn't start happening (noticing it) until a week or so ago and I've been on meds for 4 weeks (also get a crushing pain in my chest about 10 mins after I take metformin from time to time)

But my bloods have for the past week been about the 6.5 bracket (well down from 20.0 when I started) and if I'm really good I manage 5.1, but I am still learming on what to eat (or rather whats good for me to eat).

To me it appears random on the leg blood. I haven't started any exercise so far but I have lost 8Kg in the past few weeks aswell. I just thought thought it might have been sometime common, but perhaps just one of those rare things....

Have you spoken to anyone about the chest pains? Chest pains should never be ignored.

wookie101

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

No I've found on the web that metformin can cause (heart attack like symptoms) for some people so they then switch to the slow release version, I've not seen my doctor so far about that, and that was why I thought I'd ask about the warm peeing down the legs sensations (although it happens around the shins).

But thanks for the concern, as it was a bit of a worry until I figured out it was the metformin causing it.