1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Metformin and digestion

Discussion in 'Metformin/Biguanides' started by WhatNotToEat, Jan 22, 2013.

1. WhatNotToEat

WhatNotToEat · Active Member

Sorry if I've posted in the wrong place but I need clarification.
    I had an endoscopy today to test for coeliac disease and had to fast for 6 hours.
    I was told I still had food in my stomach despite this, so they're on about changing my medication.
    Does Metformin aid digestion then and what are they likely to do?
    Thanks for any help.

What Not To Eat
    www.facebook.com/WhatNotToEat
    Uniting those with coeliac disease, diabetes and gluten sensitivity.

2. GraceK

GraceK · Well-Known Member

Before I was diagnosed and put on Metformin I had painful gastric symptoms and had to have a gastroscopy which showed that I had extensive gastritis, hiatus hernia, Schiatski ring. I was given Omeprazole which helped a lot. But not until my diabetes was diagnosed and I went on Metformin did I feel my gastric symptoms improve a lot more.

I don't know if Metformin aids digestion, but it does curb my appetite which has the knock on effect of giving my poor stomach a well earned rest. I rarely have gastric pain and have cut the Omeprazole down to 20mg a day instead of 40mg. I've also had a miraculous 'almost cure' of my asthma. I was wheezing so much I needed to walk with sticks 8 months ago. Now I don't need my inhaler unless I intend walking a mile or so.

I'm not sure if it's the change in diet that's done all this (LCHF) or the Metformin but my diabetes diagnosis is the best thing that happened to me.

Hope that helps. :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook