Metformin and muscle cramps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Shopping.Bad payers.
I have issues with my tablets.
Having reduced my tablets 2 months ago my muscle cramps went away. Made an appointment with diabetic nurse wich took a month before an appointment was available. Now a friend of mine who takes Metformin ran out of tablets over the holiday and his cramps disapeared he dad been taking painkillers just to get out of bed.
Had a medical today the idea being (I thought) to change my tablets because the Metformine I am on gives me severe muscle cramps so I cant walk. But no after a heated discusion where my blood preasure went up to 216 they have put me on slow release Metformin that gets over my stomach problems but does not deal with the cramps.
I have been given a blood test appointment for May, If the cramps persist I am to stop taking them.:D Ha Ha Ha

Reactions: 2 people

Boating

Type of diabetes
Type 2
there is a lot of controversy over metformin I stop taking it after my dad went on kidney dialysis. doc not happy but!

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
seems the tablets we take for one thing causes problems with another thing.... I take metformin and have done for five years now I am at the clinic tommorow for blood test results I shall ask about the perils of taking this drug :blackeye:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I second @Mike D 's question.
We get a lot more people reporting muscle cramps from statins than from Metformin.

Is it possible that your friend ran out of his statins at the same time he ran out of metformin?

Of course, that isn't to say that cramps are impossible from met - anything is possible ;)

Reactions: 4 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes muscle cramps are a recorded side effect of Metformin

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi I have only been on Metformin 2x500mg daily for 3 weeks up to now I do not have any cramps and stomach problems with them have settled down now. I take mine in the middle of eating breakfast and dinner.

Boating

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I started metform years ago the same time I started Statins cramps were so bad I stop everything you are write statins are the worst for cramps but metform is in second place. plus kidney problems

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hmm interesting, I do get more calf muscle cramps than I used to and I am on Metformin and Statins but they are not frequent enough to worry about.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Shopping.Bad payers.
I second @Mike D 's question.
We get a lot more people reporting muscle cramps from statins than from Metformin.

Is it possible that your friend ran out of his statins at the same time he ran out of metformin?

Of course, that isn't to say that cramps are impossible from met - anything is possible ;)
Believe me some people can get cramps both from Metfoemine and Statins I dont know which is worse.

dog-man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had the usual muscle pain and memory issues on statins until I refused to take them anymore.
Never had problems with Metformin unless I take them without food.

manjyot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Consider taking Glyco X-500 with Berberine instead. Much better performance that Metforin but NO SIDE EFFECTS.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on ordinary Metformin and Atorvastatin from diagnosis in November 2016, stopped them on the same day, just before Christmas, as I was in a terrible state - awful aches and pains, memory problems, itching all over, incontinent - verging on suicidal.
I could not report problems as I started and stopped the pills at the same time - I was taking one of each a day.
The worst thing about it was that I don't seem to need them.

tabbymh

I have issues with my tablets.
Having reduced my tablets 2 months ago my muscle cramps went away. Made an appointment with diabetic nurse wich took a month before an appointment was available. Now a friend of mine who takes Metformin ran out of tablets over the holiday and his cramps disapeared he dad been taking painkillers just to get out of bed.
Had a medical today the idea being (I thought) to change my tablets because the Metformine I am on gives me severe muscle cramps so I cant walk. But no after a heated discusion where my blood preasure went up to 216 they have put me on slow release Metformin that gets over my stomach problems but does not deal with the cramps.
I have been given a blood test appointment for May, If the cramps persist I am to stop taking them.:D Ha Ha Ha
I was given Quinine tablets to stop the cramp but had terrible stomach upset with taking them. Now I drink a can of Tonic water every evening and very rarely get leg cramps. It contains Quinine.