Metformin and Salbutamol

Anne0257

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am on Metformin 3 times aday and also take regular Asthma treatment and have read in the leaflet that taking these 2 medicines together that i may need more blood glucose checks,but my Dr never mentioned this.Could this affect my bood glucose and why i cant get a stable reading. :)

hallii

Hello Ann, I use Salbutamol (Blue) and Beclometazone (Brown) inhalers.

I am aware of the possibilty of interaction with Metformin (which I also take 500mg daily) but in practice have not found it makes much difference.

Mine is only a low dose of Metformin so maybe that makes a difference.

I suppose the way to find out would be to not use the inhaler for a week or so and check your BGs, then carry on using at normal and repeat the BG checks, but speak to your doc. first. I am assuming you have a meter and strips?

The trouble is, not using the inhaler is sometimes just not possible, if you get an attack there is no option.

I am also on Bendrofloumethiazide and that can also interact with Metformin, but since my Bgs stay pretty much under control I is all a bit academic.

Sorry, not much help am I?

H

Anne0257

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for your reply,It does help to know that other people taking the same medication and they have BG that have stablized,I will see my Dr and ask,but your right sometimes you have no choice but to use the inhalers,although I have the brown 1 twice aday and there are just not enough hours in the day to juggle the meds,Thank you once again take care

Yoser

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are not in the u.s you can get salbutamol/ventolin here without a prior prescription you just do their online consultation form http://www.europetabs.com

Last edited by a moderator:

mayurmb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I would also like to know about the effects of having Metformin and Salbutamol. My daily dosage of medication is as follows:

Metformin Hydrochloride I.P and Linagliptin (500 mg and 2.5 mg - 1 Tablet in the morning before breakfast)
Rosuvastatin Calcium I.P (10 mg - 1 Tablet in the morning before breakfast)

Today morning, due to dust allergy, I had to use the Salbutamol Inhaler. But I took all three medications one after the other. There was no change in my diet, either. But today my glucose level was 265 (four hours after lunch) and on days where I did not use the inhaler it used to be 100 - 140 (four hours after lunch).

Is it possible that the Salbutamol might have caused any problems?

D

Deleted member 308541

I use Salbutamol (Airomir), plus a load of other medications including Metformin as per my sig. I have not noticed any major increase in my bgl from taking them.

I was on three monthly hba1c blood tests but now have them every six months.

Airomir 3 x 2 Inhalations (Blue)
Spiriva Respimat Inhalations 2 x 2 (Light Green)
Symbicort 400 2 x 2 Inhalations (Red)