Metformin and side effects Help!!!!

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi all, I have been on Metformin 500mg 2 daily for 5 weeks, had tummy problems bloating / constipation / and indigestion . Although it has settled a bit I never felt right with them, then I saw on this site to ask doctor to change them to the SR ones. Went to doctors yesterday for a monthly review Asked him to change to SR, , yes he said straight away no problem, he said I had done really well in 6 weeks of being diagnosed.:happy: BG readings well down from what they were,:happy: weight loss good,:happy: told me to keep up what I was doing,:happy: told him I had joined this site and it was the best thing I had done.:happy: I was so elated, :happy: then I said, shall I give the other Metformin tablets I have left back to the chemist ? He said no keep them as sometimes you can get more problems with the SR ones, than you do with the normal Metformin if you do come back and will have to put you back on the Metformin . :eek::woot::confused:. Cn anyone let me know if they have changed to the SR ones and if they had side effects different to the normal ones?

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never read that anyone has more problems with the SR than the ordinary ones, sometimes it's the same problems but not worse ones.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, I have been on Metformin 500mg 2 daily for 5 weeks, had tummy problems bloating / constipation / and indigestion . Although it has settled a bit I never felt right with them, then I saw on this site to ask doctor to change them to the SR ones. Went to doctors yesterday for a monthly review Asked him to change to SR, , yes he said straight away no problem, he said I had done really well in 6 weeks of being diagnosed.:happy: BG readings well down from what they were,:happy: weight loss good,:happy: told me to keep up what I was doing,:happy: told him I had joined this site and it was the best thing I had done.:happy: I was so elated, :happy: then I said, shall I give the other Metformin tablets I have left back to the chemist ? He said no keep them as sometimes you can get more problems with the SR ones, than you do with the normal Metformin if you do come back and will have to put you back on the Metformin . :eek::woot::confused:. Cn anyone let me know if they have changed to the SR ones and if they had side effects different to the normal ones?
I went SR for a while. No real change in side effects, but noted that my averaged bgl level raised by about 2 mmol/l while on the SR, which dropped back when i went back to standard,

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi Oldvatr tthank you for that information, so I will have to see if my BG readings rise a bit while on the SR . Did they rise straight away ?

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
I have never read that anyone has more problems with the SR than the ordinary ones, sometimes it's the same problems but not worse ones.
Hello zand Thank you for that I am worried a bit now, don't want no rises when I have been doing so well. Will have to keep my eye on it.:)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Oldvatr tthank you for that information, so I will have to see if my BG readings rise a bit while on the SR . Did they rise straight away ?
I usually average over a week, but in this case I noted the rise within a couple of days in my moving average and my trend analysis showed a rise. I left it for a while to see if it settled, but it settled high. The recovery when I went back on standard Met was also quite quick. Total cycle took 14 days.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
I usually average over a week, but in this case I noted the rise within a couple of days in my moving average and my trend analysis showed a rise. I left it for a while to see if it settled, but it settled high. The recovery when I went back on standard Met was also quite quick. Total cycle took 14 days.
Thank you:)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've never heard of anyone having worse symptoms with SR and usually lower symptoms.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on the standard Metformin for about six weeks I was gradually increasing the dose as I was told to do but when I got to three 500mg tablets a day I got really bad indigestion and bloating. Doctor changed me to the SR ones now I am on 1500 mg a day and so far no problems and my BG levels doesn't seem any higher. Next week I increase the dosage to 1000mg twice a day.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
. . . . . had tummy problems bloating / constipation / and indigestion . . . . .

Constipation? I think I'm not going to be too far wrong in saying that if constipation, diarrhea and no change were the three main side effects of taking bog standard Metformin, being constipated would be in the minority and having diarrhea in the majority. However, without doing a straw poll on this forum, I can't say. The sustained release version certainly seems to sort out a lot of the people who have had diarrhea but I don't know about constipation.
Maybe there could be an occasion when you do have diarrhea and being able to take the standard Metformin would be of benefit.
One thing to consider is how the tablets are taken throughout the day. For example before/during/after a meal, it seems to make a difference. If there is a change in BG readings it would be interesting to find out why.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi to everyone who answered my post, To DavidGrahamJones, I take 1 morning with food and 1 at dinner with food. If there is a change in my BG readings I will let you all know. Thank you

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently moved to the modified release. Best thing I ever did. All of the symptoms you had I had.....now a thing of the past.

Reactions: 6 people

Maggie Meg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on metformin 4 per day for months. My stomach problem had never stopped. My new doc prescribed Glumetza and gave me a manufacturer coupon so i didn't have to pay. My stomach problem stopped that very day when i started Glumetza. Glumetza is the brand name of metformin. Hope this helps.

Aiza

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Aiza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I used to take 500mg of Metformin three times a day but in the end they made me so sick, feeling sick and being sick I was then put on the SR but they made me much worse.... They did give me some stomach problems...
I now just take one a day and I'm now on insulin.... I am type 2 Diabetic....
There are a lot of other Diabetic medications that your Dr could try you on if Metformin is making you feel ill.
It's your body so if your not happy then tell him.
Good Luck...
Trish

Mamalaine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I started on Metformin and had side affects so was put on slow release ,I take two tablets every night after my evening meal ,I've been on them over a year now and had no problems at all , the only thing I did seem to get but the doctors told me it couldn't possibly be this is that I started to get thinning hair , it's ok but my hair was extremely thick and was worried it would carry on but it seemed to stop , it's only half the thickness it was ,others don't notice but I do , I don't suppose they are going to ever say it is the tablets but it only happened once I started taking them ,could be a coincidence but to be fair I'm not to sure ,but would sooner stay on these than have the bad stomach .

zazzycat

Type of diabetes
Type 2

This may not be pertinent, but I had a gross allergic reaction to Metformin and stopped it immediately altogether. After discussing it with my Pharmacist, I have been put on Chromium Picolinate. In addition, because I did not want to take statins, my Pharmacist suggested I take Lestrin - both these naturopathic medications have been scientifically proven to be as good as clinical medications, and I am doing fine on them. B/s levels coming down nicely in two months and last week I was even back to a non-diabetic level! Worth considering perhaps?

Lornylou5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have always had SR Metformin and you don't want to know what it does to my bowel.

alive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This may not be pertinent, but I had a gross allergic reaction to Metformin and stopped it immediately altogether. After discussing it with my Pharmacist, I have been put on Chromium Picolinate. In addition, because I did not want to take statins, my Pharmacist suggested I take Lestrin - both these naturopathic medications have been scientifically proven to be as good as clinical medications, and I am doing fine on them. B/s levels coming down nicely in two months and last week I was even back to a non-diabetic level! Worth considering perhaps?

What strength of Chromium Picolinate are you taking on a daily basis? The normal tablet strength here is 200mcg.