martydozer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
when my sugar levels unexpectedly rise.
Hi Guys,

Was diagnosed on the 6th Jan 2014 and was placed on Metformin 2x500mg a day. since then most days have been ok but i have noticed that the past few days i've been getting really bad stomach cramps/wind. is this quite normal? my doc said to expect a little but i thought that would be the odd inconveinent fart or two lol. i take it with my morning meal and evening meal.

funnily enough it only then seems to ease if i eat something so i do that. get a little bit panicy when it comes along for instance last night i was woken up out of my sleep with it. i had my evening meal and took my tablet then went to sleep as i work early in the morning. At midnight i was awoken with such awful pain.

is this just a breaking in phase of the drug?

got the docs again on Thursday to ask what the hell is going on but any input here would be greatly appreciated! :)

Marty C

PS gonna stop fizzy diet drinks just to see if that is what is amplifying the "cyclone" in my abdomin.

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many people say they have this sort of trouble with Metformin. This is why someone gave it the name Metfartin. This does not mean that you have to suffer it.

If this side effect is unacceptable then tell your doctor and maybe you can reduce the dose. Check that you have been prescribed the SR (slow release) version since that is kinder on the gut. This has the letters SR in the name somewhere.

I have heard that taking a smaller dose until you get used to it also works but most people seem to get given the larger amount for some reason.

A quote from my nurse. "I'm not here to make things worse for you."

Reactions: Shas3

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This was a problem for me too,ended up with gastric stomach and changed medication but got even worse,found this forum,went on the Newcastle regime ,now no medication .:D

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Cath40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
same for me i cant tolerate it either i tried the SR ones but they made me sick now on no medication but my levels are all over the place ive tried to low carb but had bad stomach pains aswell as i have hiatius hernia and think the high fat content wasnt good either metformin are great if u can tolerate them but alot cant

Father Jack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too was put on 2x500mg of Metformin when diagnosed back in June 2013. Initially, I had wind, stomach cramps and light-headedness. I take my medication exactly as you do. Now the only side effect that I have is slight constipation! Try and stick with it Marty, it is an effective drug.

Raymond Starr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just be on Metformin for a week now just a bit of wind but nothing else at the mo I have just be diagnose only a week ago I need help with my food intake ie what should I eat or not no one has told me what to eat Or what not to eat or drink
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1389986985.923261.jpg

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Father Jack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dorinda I have exactly the same performance.
Raymond go onto the diet section of this forum. You will get plenty of advice there.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The more carbs you eat, the worse Metformin affects you. This is what I have found. If I overdose on carbs I get very windy. I also find that in my case wheat and metformin are not good friends - it gives me the runs. I don't eat wheat now.

Reactions: HEG

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Been on Metformin for three years now and I agree did cause flatulance at first but I carried on with the medication and now all appears fine only trouble I have is when I eat the sugar free sweets....oooooo

LydiaLincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Guys,

Was diagnosed on the 6th Jan 2014 and was placed on Metformin 2x500mg a day. since then most days have been ok but i have noticed that the past few days i've been getting really bad stomach cramps/wind. is this quite normal? my doc said to expect a little but i thought that would be the odd inconveinent fart or two lol. i take it with my morning meal and evening meal.

funnily enough it only then seems to ease if i eat something so i do that. get a little bit panicy when it comes along for instance last night i was woken up out of my sleep with it. i had my evening meal and took my tablet then went to sleep as i work early in the morning. At midnight i was awoken with such awful pain.

is this just a breaking in phase of the drug?

got the docs again on Thursday to ask what the hell is going on but any input here would be greatly appreciated! :)

Marty C

PS gonna stop fizzy diet drinks just to see if that is what is amplifying the "cyclone" in my abdomin.

Hi I had similiar problems when I started but also had very bad stomach and sickness, was changed to a slow release version called Glucophage and have been good on that now down to 36 on the new scale I also try and use cinnamon and funegrek in my diet as that is meant to help control blood sugar and funegrek is also good for stomach and wind