Metformin and vitamin B12 deficiency - long term use

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Just wondering if anyone here has come across this? I just spoke toy DBN who said she had never heard of it but will speak to GP. It is my understanding that long term users should have annual blood check as the longer one is metformin, the higher the risk. This is mentioned at countless websites - including NHS and medication reasons for vitamin B12 deficiency, by affecting absorption abilities.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

WhitbyJet

Yes, I was diagnosed with pernicious anaemia and magnesium deficiency, ended up with lactic acidosis, with reduced kidney function, stage 3-4 at the time, I shouldnt have been prescibed metformin at all.

Fast forward, kidney function at stage 2, seemingly stable, diet and exercise controlled, no meds and no sign of pernicous anaemia or magnesium deficiency.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
I have spoken again to DB nurse, who said her colleague has just been on a course regarding this and I am getting tested for Vitamin B12 levels.

K

Kat100

Yes I was very low in iron and have regular b12 injections.....is there a link....

musiclover58

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too got advised a couple of times after a blood test that I was iron deficient to avoid taking iron tablets I make sure I have plenty of spinach in my diet

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear HpprKM,
Yes you are quite right, there is a link associated between Metformin and B12. The lack of B12 vitamin take up can be improved by natural means (eating Iron rich vegetables ie:spinich, brocolli etc: or through using additional medications or B12 herbal suppliments.