Metformin ER 500mg

israr

Hi,

My doctor prescibe me Metformin extended release. Even thought my diabetes is well controled without medication.
My last Hb1ac is 5.5. I am on stress medicine called Seroxate and getting weight very fast. Today i took my very first pill of metformin. I am very worry of stomatch problem.

My qestion is should i really take it when my diabetes is well controlled? also if somebody can help me how to stop seroxate.

velcrohead

Seroxate (Paroxetine) is an anti depressant, I know one of the side effects can be weight gain.
I had this problem myself, The only real way off it is to first make sure that whatever was depressing you or stressing you is no longer doing so, Then it is a staggered withdrawl from it, DO NOT just stop it.
You really need to ask your prescribing doctor about the Seroxate though.
I would like to have an HbA1c of 5.5, sounds like you were doing ok there.

Momblegoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are wanting to come off Seroxate you MUST discuss this with your GP! As velcrohead said DO NOT just stop the medication or drastically cut the dose as this can lead to extremely unpleasant side effects.

As for the question about the Metformin, again, discuss with your GP, he/she will be able to reassure you.

Let us know how you get on.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on Seroxat for seven years. It took me 12 months to get off it, by withdrawing very slowly. And a further 6 months for all the side effects to go.

I had the support of my doctor. Please talk it over with your doctor and do not attempt to try to stop on your own. When you get down to tiny (less than 10mg) daily doses, there is a liquid form available to reduce by 1mg at a time. Your doctor must be involved in this.

In my experience, depression returns until the underlying cause is found. Maybe your doctor can recommend CBT or something?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You have a very good Hba1C. The Metformin ER shouldn't cause any stomach problems and is very safe drug. It won't do any harm to take it although your need may be marginal at present. My wife was on Paroxetine many years ago and had to come of it slowly. As someone else has suggested, do consider help for your depression. I do volunteer (IT) work for the mental health charity MIND and I know my local branch provides a lot of help for depression through cCBT and counselling etc. Do seek out your local MIND or any of the other charities that may be able to help. You'll be surprised how common depression is and how sharing your thoughts with others can be a great help.

hallii

My HbA1c was 5.3% last time, my Doc. still put me on 500mg of Metformin.

It has protective benefits I am told.

It also means I don't have to be quite as strict about my low carbing.

H

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
hallii said:
My HbA1c was 5.3% last time, my Doc. still put me on 500mg of Metformin.

It has protective benefits I am told.

It also means I don't have to be quite as strict about my low carbing.

H

Wow. I wish my Doctor was so progressive. I got pulled off mine when I got to 5.1mmol/l.

Might have to buy some next time I go to Mexico.

israr

Dear All,
Thank you very much for your kind replies. After 24 hours of taking my very first Metformin pill, I did not notice any problem.(side effect). May be its too early. I will continue to take it for at least one month as my doctor told me to do so. He said it may help me to loose some weight. I really dont want to depend on this medicine when my diabetes is well controled without it. Any suggestion will be great. Should i continue to take it or no need. Is is easy to get off metformin. Will it make me worst when i stop taking it.

Thanks and regards,
Israr

Helenababe

Hi israr. :)

None of us can tell you what to do regarding your metformin. Take it as your doctor says, then when you see him again, he will assess how things are going.

Helena

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Obviously you should discuss options with your Dr. I think Metformin is the sort of drug you can come off easily. I wouldn't worry about staying on 500mg if you have no bad effects as it does help control BS, helps the heart a bit and reduces appetite a bit which all go towards a healthier life. If you get the metallic food taste with Metformin it will eventually completely disappear. Not everyone gets it (I did).

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, X Factor (and all similar shows), soaps (corrie, east enders etc), hot weather
Hi, your doctor is right in that it will probably help you lose weight (I read somewhere that it's sometimes prescribed to overweight people to help them lose weight, shame I didn't get it before I became diabetic!).

Since starting on Metformin, my appetite has reduced as a result, and I've slowly lost weight (just over a stone so far) with no effort from me at all. Even though I am getting a lot of the side effects (still!) from Metformin, I'm reluctant to ask to change medication, as I like the fact it's helping me lose weight - I also find I don't crave a lot of the high sugar foods that caused me to put on weight in the first place :thumbup: Even if you feel you don't need it to control your diabetes, staying on it will help you lose weight, and that might in turn help you reach a place where your doctor will decide you are ready to start coming off the Seroxat .

Definitely discuss it with your doctor though, they should be happy to explain why they think you need to take metformin.