Metformin - feeling worse???

charlietedd

Hello all,

I am the wife of a T2 diabetic struggling with Metformin.
Diagnosed last April with BGs of 16+ he was prescribed Metformin. Still not feeling well, diarreah, wind, very light headed and swaying. Back to gp and diabetic nurse on many occasions< same old same old, "your scores are good, you're doing well, well done" but still feeling bad :? .
Last straw today, sent home from physical work AGAIN today - swaying, light headed! Back to gp, after a big dispute between myself, hubby, gp and nurse - reluctantly they have agreed to taking him off Metformin for 4 weeks to monitor.
GP and Nurse, both adamant that these symptoms are not condusive with this drug, then I sat and read the threads on hear??????
Why are they denying this? anyone else with similar stories, results, answers???????

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Constantly having the runs can leave you very drained and even make you vitamin and mineral deficient. I know, been there, got the t-shirt. There is a version of metformin called SR which according to some is easier on the stomach, I've no experience of this as I have always been on the standard version.

With regard to the wind problem, it seems to be worse the more carbs you eat. I cut out wheat and that stopped the runs for me, so it is worth experimenting with, if they insist that he has to go back on the metformin.

There are alternative meds including gliclazide (not usually given if overweight) or sitagliptin (Januvia) but this one is much more expensive and not on the first line of meds like cheap metformin.

volaer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Don't like pricking...
I think you could try some herbal food supplement whilst taking metformin. It can help your body recover from some serious side effects of medicines like metformin and diamicron.

Sent from the Officially Diabetic

charlietedd

Is Gliclazide the answer?

Hello everyone,

You may have read my previous posts about my oh voluntarily coming off Metformin because of the dreadful side effects it left him with. He has tried so hard for the past 3 months to control this Diabetes S*** with exercise, good food and a pma, but it's so hard! His fasting bs has crept up to 11.5 again on a regular basis, so reluctantly he is returning to the nurse to request an alternative - Gliclazide?
My worry is this - at the moment he is very anxious, suffering chronic headaches and a persistent swaying motion ( he often looks like he has just stepped off a boat) aswell as rising blood sugar levels despite his efforts to maintain them. What are the possible side effects of the sulphonlurea? Is he suffering these symptoms because he is stressing about bs rising? help! :cry:

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ask to try the slow release version of Metformin.

I had terrible trouble with my stomach, runs etc and it stopped immediately when I went onto the slow release version.

Gliclazide is not an alternative to Metformin.

Gliclazide works by increasing the amount of insulin that your pancreas produces.

Metformin works by suppressing glucose production by the liver.

sujeet

Hello,
Diagonised with Type II, a year before. Initially had Jalra M 500 (Vildagliptin + Meformin) in morning and Glycomet SR 500 (Metformin) in night.
Last three months I am having Metformin HCL 500 twice a day. But for last 2-3 weeks, feeling indigestion, headache and weakness a while.
Probably Metformin HCL is making me hyper acidity. Donot know what is happening.

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
Same problem runs,dizziness also breathing problems, went back to go who said no problem and put me on slow release me form in no problems with me form in since go back to go and say you need slow release metformin
And hopefully this will sort you out

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App