Metformin (Forgotten Tablet)

Lottiej1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all,

i have only been diagnosed with diabetes type 2 for 5 months, So im pretty new to what i can or cant do. Now i am normally good at carrying a few tablets in my bag for when i eat out before going home, But i have realised this morning that i havent got any in my bag. I am away for the night tonight and i have no time to go home after to work to get my tablet. Now my question is can i go into boots or a pharmacy and get a tablet? if so what do i have to do?

Thank you in advance
Rgds
Stressing Newbie

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Morning all,

i have only been diagnosed with diabetes type 2 for 5 months, So im pretty new to what i can or cant do. Now i am normally good at carrying a few tablets in my bag for when i eat out before going home, But i have realised this morning that i havent got any in my bag. I am away for the night tonight and i have no time to go home after to work to get my tablet. Now my question is can i go into boots or a pharmacy and get a tablet? if so what do i have to do?

Thank you in advance
Rgds
Stressing Newbie
I'm pretty sure that metformin is only available on prescription, and missing a couple won't do any lasting harm. You could call NHS Direct on 111 for advice if you want to.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
That is not an issue. Used to miss them often.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Missing a few Metformin won't do you any harm at all. It is not a problem. They only help to a limited extent at the best of times as they are mainly an appetite suppressant and work on the liver to help reduce the amount of glucose the liver produces naturally. Panic not.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I miss a Metformin SR, I have to take a Loperamide otherwise my stomach speeds up and I get rear end probs ! I try very hard not to miss it, therefore.

Metformin does suppress appetite, it does help sensitise tissues insulin too. It also mimics the action of a protein called CBP and takes over the broken signalling between liver and pancreas. Plus, it was found recently to have a positive effect on brain cell repair and will be studied further for Alzheimer's. Added to those, a Cochrane review in 2014, found that people on Metformin had fewer cardiovascular events than on any other diabetes drug and even fewer cardiovascular events than those just using diet and exercise.

Additionally, it has been observed from patient records by Tayside Health Board, that compared to patients not taking it (non diabetics), 4% fewer people taking Metformin had cancer.Metformin has been seen in vitro to kill cancer cells.

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
If I miss a Metformin SR, I have to take a Loperamide otherwise my stomach speeds up and I get rear end probs ! I try very hard not to miss it, therefore.

Metformin does suppress appetite, it does help sensitise tissues insulin too. It also mimics the action of a protein called CBP and takes over the broken signalling between liver and pancreas. Plus, it was found recently to have a positive effect on brain cell repair and will be studied further for Alzheimer's. Added to those, a Cochrane review in 2014, found that people on Metformin had fewer cardiovascular events than on any other diabetes drug and even fewer cardiovascular events than those just using diet and exercise.

Additionally, it has been observed from patient records by Tayside Health Board, that compared to patients not taking it (non diabetics), 4% fewer people taking Metformin had cancer.Metformin has been seen in vitro to kill cancer cells.
For all the reasons above, it's a brilliant little drug IMO. My HbA1c has been in the non diabetic range for 18 months but I still take it as I am still overweight and I want the other positive benefits it brings. There are so many potential triggers for cancer, it's nice to take something that might reduce the risk.

Reactions: 4 people