Metformin/Glipizide effects.

popsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Hope this is in the right forum.

I take 2,500 mgs of Metformin daily which started, as with everyone, at 500mgs and increased to the present dose. 5mgs of Glipizide was added to this latterly. Up to this time I knew nothing about anything really until I googled Glipizide and found this site and all you wonderful people. Here I learned about low carbing and how it could help and I only wish I had known about it before the Glipizide as I really do believe I could have delayed my taking of that for quite a while, I have around 60gms of carb a day at present, sometimes less as I don't find it difficult to do without.

Anyhow, I am finding that I am having extremely low BG readings sometimes around 3.8, my lowest being 3.1 yesterday at 9pm two hours after dinner at which I had had some new potatoes. So of course, I am having to increase my carbs to up my BG which is absolutely ridiculous but not only that, is interfering with my weight loss. At least, that is my conclusion. I have gained around 1kg lately which is extremely upsetting. Normally, my wake up BG is fairly high, but this morning was only 4.1.

So firstly I am wondering what everyone else thinks about these results and secondly, that I am considering giving up, at least for a time, the Glipizide. What do you think? I am planning on testing and just seeing what difference it makes.

Do you think that the low carbing I have done has made a difference to the way my pancreas is working or have you any other ideas because to tell you the truth, I am very very baffled right now!

Quite honestly, I am feeling a bit of a rebel really in even considering this new regime ;) and really need some input.

I found this info http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-sup...metformin-oral-route/description/DRG-20061984
"With two actions, the combination of glipizide and metformin helps your body cope with high blood sugar. Glipizide stimulates the release of insulin from the pancreas, directing your body to store blood sugar. Metformin has three different actions: it slows the absorption of sugar in your small intestine; it also stops your liver from converting stored sugar into blood sugar; and it helps your body use your natural insulin more efficiently."

Thanks guys, I would really appreciate any opinions. :)

Reactions: 3 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I would get back in touch with your healthcare provider as these numbers are too low really if they happen regularly. Keep a record of your readings to give them. Chances are, because you've done so well with your diet change you may even be able to come off the Gliclazide as these are the tablets that lower your BG. They are a very good med but you don't have any control over it once you've taken it. It seems silly to have to eat carbs just to alleviate the function of your meds. Good luck !
Mo

popsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
I would get back in touch with your healthcare provider as these numbers are too low really if they happen regularly. Keep a record of your readings to give them. Chances are, because you've done so well with your diet change you may even be able to come off the Gliclazide as these are the tablets that lower your BG. They are a very good med but you don't have any control over it once you've taken it. It seems silly to have to eat carbs just to alleviate the function of your meds. Good luck !
Mo
Thanks mo, I appreciate your reply but it's actually GliPizide that I am on not Gliclazide but maybe that doesn't make much difference to the outcome :)

desidiabulum

Hi popsy. you are exactly right that it is madness to increase your carbs to up your BGs -- a classic case of the cure being worse than the disease. The good news is that your strong response to glipizide shows that your pancreas is still working very well, and that means that it is really worth sticking to the dietary regime and plenty of exercise -- as Mo says, you may be able to come off glipizide altogether. Another thing you might consider in the meantime is reducing your glipizide dosage to one a day, or varying when you take it (and of course, test test test to see how it works best for you). Alternatively, maybe think about being switched to gliclazide. I had regular hypos on glipizide and was ultimately switched to gliclazide. Glic works the same way as glip, but the useful thing about glic is that it is less powerful and the tablets are larger, so that you can get a pill-cutter and experiment with smaller doses. With glic I was able to get rid of hypos almost altogether. Good luck!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i agree completely with previous posts, it is madness to up the carbs to raise your sugar levels because of the meds making your sugar levels go too low, i see no harm in experimenting yourself with the reduction of the glip, thats exactly what i would do.

im not medical this is all opinion

but wow! how well your doing, your my new low carb hero :) x

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Hi Popsy

Well Done!

I'd go back and talk to the doc about coming of the glic. Show him the numbers you're getting cos they are getting a bit on the low side. Tell him it's pointless to eat when you don't need to ...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

popsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Cruelty

i agree completely with previous posts, it is madness to up the carbs to raise your sugar levels because of the meds making your sugar levels go too low, i see no harm in experimenting yourself with the reduction of the glip, thats exactly what i would do.

im not medical this is all opinion

but wow! how well your doing, your my new low carb hero :) x

Thanks Andy, I really do need this right now, it's hard enough dealing with diabetes but oddly, it's hard too when stuff starts to move in the right direction as it's unfamiliar territory as well!