Metformin hell

Medusalight

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have recently been diagnosed type two and since mid june I have had metformin and earth shatteringly bad daily diarrhea, I skipped my pills in the morning one day as I knew I had a hospital appointment which could take a few hours and guess what no problems come home took meds and stomach upset so its definately the Metformin, I told my doctor and nurse and the doctor told me to keep taking them it would calm down eventually and the nurse told me to up the bloody dose by one tablet at night which I have not done, I keep asking them for other pills but they say keep at it my stomach would settle, its been almost a month and if anything it feels worse, if I refuse pills and go to diet only will I be able to manage my diabetes that way or should I demand to speak to another doctor?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you on the slow release met?
It may not settle, there are a few where it doesnt

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin has very little effect on blood sugar levels. Much more can be achieved through diet. Have you looked at / considered low carb? My husband James, dropped Metformin and went diet-only. His most recent HbA1c was middle of the normal range - way below diabetic, after being diagnosed at dangerously high levels this time last year. I suspect they only prescribe the stuff as a punishment for being too fat and costing the NHS money - but that's just me being cynical, so ignore me!
There is a lot of information on this site about low carb, so do have a look round
Sally

Reactions: 4 people

Medusalight

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
I am on plain old diahorrea inducing metaformin
I am telling the doctors tomorrow to shove it, getting myself a blood sugar metre and taking care of it via diet and exercise I cannot live like this, I am house bound, stomachs constantly painful and bottom is bleeding now its so bad.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stop taking them. See dr for slow release and try again in a couple of weeks

Good move getting the meter, codefree and strips off amazon uk

Reactions: 3 people

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think some people will never tolerate them in any form . I was put on normal metformin at diagnosis and after 2 months of instant diarrhea and unable to leave the house changed to SR version and completely same result . My consultant finally told me to stop taking them as I was one of the people who could not tolerate them in any form and prescribed Galvus ( vildagliptin ) no side effects and felt like I got my life back .

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
Metformin has very little effect on blood sugar levels. Much more can be achieved through diet. Have you looked at / considered low carb? My husband James, dropped Metformin and went diet-only. His most recent HbA1c was middle of the normal range - way below diabetic, after being diagnosed at dangerously high levels this time last year. I suspect they only prescribe the stuff as a punishment for being too fat and costing the NHS money - but that's just me being cynical, so ignore me!
There is a lot of information on this site about low carb, so do have a look round
Sally

After 6 years of having diabetes and not taking any care. I was shocked in my annual check up in March to be prescribed Metformin. I read all the info and decided not to take them. Mostly because I have Osteoarthritis and it takes me ages to get to the loo as it is. I was imaging a trail of poo, from my chair to the loo. Lol, I joined the forum got to grips with my diet, thanks to all the great information in here. Because I wouldn't take the meds my Doc insisted I have a 3 Monthly review . I am losing weight and my recent tests show I am managing it just fine by diet alone. It is coming to terms with what you can and can't eat. I cannot see the point in taking meds that make you feel so rough. And if they give you stomach problems now, what harm might they do you in the long term?

Medusalight

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Thats what I am worried about my stomach is so painful I am worried it is damaged now, I have a phone consult with the doctor soon I am going to tell them straight what I am planning to do and deny any more medication because I dont want to live like this, I have far to much to do with my disabled grandparents and animal rescue to be dealing with this.

My big problem is I am also on thyriod medication which after doing some research last night I found out reacts with most diabetic medication, I know why I have diabetes my diet consisted mostly of potatoes and pasta meals which are high in carbs I thought I was eating healthy and had no idea carbs became sugar at all, my fats were low but sugar via carbs and cola as well as fruit juice were high, now I know this and am correcting my diet hopefully things will work out.

I am going to go on LCHF diet the only problem being I am not a big meat eater so this could be interesting.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. I wish you luck with your diet change.I started LCHF only yesterday. I hope you keep posting so we know you are doing well:)

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
@Medusalight Being a big meat eater isn't a huge problem for LCHF. We only have it occasionally at home and mainly cook vegetarian, plus fish. Perhaps more of a problem when you are out, meat (usually steak) and salad being an easy to obtain low carb main course.

I sympathise with the diet of potatoes and pasta. This was very much our story. Trying to cut back a bit of food expenditure, I began to focus far more on this type of food. And then I always made sure that we had lots and lots of "healthy" fruit and kept our fats minimal. No wonder poor James started out with a bs reading of 24mmol/L.

Once we cut out most carbs, his sugar levels fell dramatically, almost instantly. Since day 9, he has only had normal readings, oh, an lots of weight fell off both of us.

Good luck!
Sally

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can relate to Medusa and Sallys posts. I had been prescribed Orlistat to help me with weihtloss. This causes diarohea when fat is eaten so I was eating a very low fat diet and was comoensating by eating more and more carbs, bread, rice and potatoes. The after a blood test as I had changed doctor I found out I had diabetes. I thought I was helping my health but found I had harmed it.

Medusalight

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
well that was unpleasant the doctors attitude was 'on your head be it' other doctors and nurses said if I needed it I could get a free blood sugar monitor she said no, she said she didn't put stock in a diet as i was over weight I tried to explain that I had weight gain due to hypothyroidism but she cut over me and said about me taking the pills. Anyway I told her I would not take any more pills, she hung up on me.

I got great satisfaction out of tipping my metformin into a bag to go back to the chemist, I haven't taken a dose today and I feel only stomach pain which I suspect will take a while to subside given the abuse its gone through, I started the LCFH diet immediately with scrambled eggs with mushrooms sauted for breakfast, the diet is strict but I am more than happy and have a strong will power so can happily stick to it.

I cant wait for my normal nice doctor to come back from holiday I am sure she will give me a blood glucose monitor and testing strips, I have printed out the LCFH diet info and cant wait to enjoy coffee with real cream mmmmmm.

figgywiggy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too am having problems with metformin which are getting worse. I have extreme bloating which is affecting my life. I am not overweight I don't have cramps but I look pregnant and am extremely uncomfortable. I run every morning and two days ago I couldn't even do that. I think I am going to come off them and start testing and see what happens. I am on 2x500. Since following a low carb diet my BG has dropped like a stone into 5s and 6s. Has anyone else experienced this.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
@figgywiggy wrote, "Since following a low carb diet my BG has dropped like a stone into 5s and 6s. Has anyone else experienced this."
Yes, exactly that. James was diagnosed with a level of 24mmol/L and began low carb (with a few mistakes) immediately and nine days later his bs was exactly what you say, in the normal range. The only down side I can see is that his sight became blurry and he chose not to drive for a week or two. This, I understand, was due to changes in the eye fluids, due to sudden changes in blood sugars. If this happens to you, don't panic. I probably should say that you should see your doctor, but we saw James's and he knew nothing about this phenomena at all, just behaved in his usual, arrogant, "it's all your own fault" way. Thank goodness for this forum, where I found out that the problem was temporary.
sally

Medusalight

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
I would really like to thank everyone for the support and help, you gave me the courage to tell the doctors no more pills, I feel so much better today only little of stomach pain which given what my poor tummy has been through I am not suprised, I already feel better and am actually enjoying the diet cleared out the cupbaords already of all sugar, carbs ect and just have what I am allowed in my cupboard taking what food i cant eat to the local food bank why waste it.

Reactions: 6 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is really kind ie taking the food to the food bank. I wouldnt have thought of that. I started the Lchf yesterday. I hope you will keep posting on how you are getting on. Well done foe tacling your doctor:)

Medusalight

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
you know what the funny thing is I thought having fruit juice not cola, having jacket potatoes and pasta meals that I was being soooooo healthy I had no idea carbs converted into sugar I literally gave myself diabetes by trying to eat healthy, hows that for some serious mind rubbish.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Snap. It is rediculous isnt it? I did just the same.

Patsy B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetis
been on Mettformin for three years now and no trouble ...touch wood