C1a1r319

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ketoacidosis
Hi,
I just wanted some advice on Metformin as I am having a bit of a struggle. I have type 1 diabetes and PCOS and they put me on Metformin a few years ago. In the last 3 months I have been taking it deligently. I am finding I am continuously tired, dragging my legs, I also sleep most afternoons for 2 hours since I have been off of university. It's quite bad. I also get other symptoms, but it is the tiredness that bothers me the most.
I did a basal test of my insulin overnight and my glucose went from 10.2 to 3.9 from 22:00 to 06:00. Am I possibly taking too much and that is causing my symptoms?
I also follow a low carb diet and would rather not change everything at once so I'm not sure if this is the diet or my medication?
I am in touch with a diabetes team but I would like to know some peoples experience with this drug.

C

catherinecherub

I don't take Metformin @C1a1r319 but there are plenty of Type2s and some Type1s who do take it. They might have an answer for you and so I will bump your post up.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
have been on Metformin for four years it has nave made me tired... and hope it doesn't start now laughs

amyjamzy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi , im a type 1 and on metforminas i have PCOS too. im 27 have been on metformin now approx 3/4 years and on a pump.
I havent experineced much tiredness with being on the metformin however my type 2 friend has terrible tiredness with his!. I often get very tired at about 2/3pm sometimes it can be tricky to handle but im unusre whetehr this is due to the metformin.
It seems to have calmed my pcos symptoms even though i still lose my head hair. it definatly encourages the absorbtion of my insulin. witrh your overnight hypoing it could be a range of things, but looking at the metformin when are you taking it? I was taking 1 tablet before breakfast and 1 before my evening meal i found that i was yo yoing so im now on 1 tablet before breakfast and it has stabilised however i find that i need a lot more insulin with my evening meal.
Diabetes itself can make you tired espcially if your having highs or lows and i always find if my bm has been good then either gone high or plummeted to a low i get very tired. my type 2 friend like i said experiences extreme tiredness and headaches and he believes its from the metformin. hope some of that helps

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been on Metformin for years and my Doctor has been monitoring my situation. Having developed a problem with my kidneys my Doctor has now changed me to Gliclazide and although my blood sugar levels are fluctuating they are still within allowed levels.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin is known to interfere with the absorption of B12, so I would make sure you are checked for deficiency. Fatigue is a common symptom of B12 deficiency.