Metformin Misery

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
I am on 1500mg of Metformin SR and I just do not seem to be able to tolerate it. My doctor is doing his best by putting me on different medication, which solves the raging diarrhoea problem, but I have noticed in the past that when using different medication, my control is not as good and I tend to put on weight. I have lost a good bit of weight (8 stone), but still have about another 4 stone to go, so gaining weight scares the wits out of me.

Does anyone have any tips about taking metformin? times of day? with water or without? foods to avoid...really ANYTHING. This medication gives me great control and I can keep my weight steady - but social life and work life is proving difficult to sustain because I always have to be within easy reach of a loo so I can do the metformin dash!

I know we are all different, but hopefully someone has a bright idea that may help.

Thanks in advance.

Prov

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Providence 62, sorry to hear you're having problems - can't offer any help I'm afraid, I was ok after a few weeks on Metformin. I hope it gets sorted though, must be miserable for you! :(

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi Providence62, Sorry to hear you are having a rough time with the Metformin. Very well done of your loss of 8 stone weight loss. I was put on Metformin 500mg in Jan this year 1 daily then increased to 2 daily after 1st week. I could not tolerate these tablets at all, bloated feeling all the time, indigestion. I went the other way from the runs to constipation. I went back to my doctor after 3 weeks of misery he changed my tablets straight away to the SR ones. First couple of weeks I thought these were giving me the same symptons but after 2 weeks everything settled down. I am fine now. I take my 1st tablet in between my breakfast, and my 2nd one in between my dinner at night for me this gives me no problems. Hope you get it sorted good luck.:)

Busy1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Providence62 I really do sympathise because I am really struggling with Metformin too. My problem is that I cannot change from one brand to another. I keep getting given different brands each time I need new tablets ! I could not tolerate Glucophage but am getting on a bit better with Metabet SR. I do take Omeprazole 10mg. about half an hour before the Metabet tablet. I have just been prescribed another tablet to take as well as my blood sugar just isn't coming down. I am under a huge amount of stress as we are moving house so that isn't helping. It took me at least three weeks for the symptoms to get slightly easier. I take my tablet after I have eaten a little bit of food and then I carry on eating after taking it.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Hi @Providence 62.
Just to give an alternate answer. I've been on Met for about 8 weeks and the main symptoms are bloating with massive runs once every ten days or so. I used to start breakfast, eat a bit, take one (500 mg) then eat some more. The same with dinner. NOW I eat, wait a good hour, then take it. I'm having less problems - or I'm acclimatising.
Having said that, I've just eaten leftover salmon and broccoli Mornay with no pill, and now my belly is obstructing my view of the TV! Go figure!
Time for a stroll round the garden....

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Providence 62 - Taking Metformin with food decreases the amount of sugar that is absorbed by the intestines.

Reactions: 2 people

Plexusgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was
I am on 1500mg of Metformin SR and I just do not seem to be able to tolerate it. My doctor is doing his best by putting me on different medication, which solves the raging diarrhoea problem, but I have noticed in the past that when using different medication, my control is not as good and I tend to put on weight. I have lost a good bit of weight (8 stone), but still have about another 4 stone to go, so gaining weight scares the wits out of me.

Does anyone have any tips about taking metformin? times of day? with water or without? foods to avoid...really ANYTHING. This medication gives me great control and I can keep my weight steady - but social life and work life is proving difficult to sustain because I always have to be within easy reach of a loo so I can do the metformin dash!

I know we are all different, but hopefully someone has a bright idea that may help.

Thanks in advance.

I also was on a high dosage of Metformin and it wreaked havoc on my stomach. But found a wonderful probiotic and it has helped tremendously. Along with another product I am proud to say I am off the shots and losing weight. Thrilled to say not in the bathroom all the time!

Reactions: 3 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Providence 62 - I'm sorry to hear you're not tolerating the drug. I was on metformin for 5 years and I'm sorry to say I didn't tolerate it the entire time no matter what dosage or if it was the extended release tab. Actually the extended release tab was the worst for me as it meant a full day of nausea and diarrhoea. With the usual tabs I'd just have bouts of diarrhoea and nausea throughout the day. I tried to get my docs to take me off and they insisted I had to be on it (I tried several times too saying I couldn't handle it... but they'd tell me I have to be on it). I don't want to scare you but my stomach has never been the same since and I now have chronic digestive problems. I can't say for sure it was caused by metformin, but one thing I do know is I was perfectly fine prior to metformin. Maybe the drug just triggered things on me, not sure. But I don't have fond memories of it. I know it works well for a lot of people, but then there is a group of us that it doesn't work well for. My docs had to take me off all oral meds anyhow when they found out my pancreas isn't producing sufficient insulin. Oral meds are useless at that point. I'm on insulin these days. I hope things settle down for you... if they don't try to be as assertive as you can to get off the drug. I wish when I think back that my docs listened and agreed to take me off it and part of me wonders if they did that would I be so sick now. I was never put on vitamin B12 either which apparently is important too as I read a study that showed it depletes you of that vitamin and if you are depleted of vitamin B12 long term it can cause you problems. I only read about that recently though... would've been good to know when I was on the drug. I wish I could sing it's praises, but I can't from my own experience.... it wasn't kind to me. I wish you the best. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Hi Providence62 I really do sympathise because I am really struggling with Metformin too. My problem is that I cannot change from one brand to another. I keep getting given different brands each time I need new tablets ! I could not tolerate Glucophage but am getting on a bit better with Metabet SR. I do take Omeprazole 10mg. about half an hour before the Metabet tablet. I have just been prescribed another tablet to take as well as my blood sugar just isn't coming down. I am under a huge amount of stress as we are moving house so that isn't helping. It took me at least three weeks for the symptoms to get slightly easier. I take my tablet after I have eaten a little bit of food and then I carry on eating after taking it.

Dear Busy,

So sorry to hear about your problems, especially the moving house. There is nothing worse! Hope the move goes as smoothly as possible.

Good idea about taking the metformin in the middle of eating, maybe I will try that.

Prov

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
@Providence 62 - I'm sorry to hear you're not tolerating the drug. I was on metformin for 5 years and I'm sorry to say I didn't tolerate it the entire time no matter what dosage or if it was the extended release tab. Actually the extended release tab was the worst for me as it meant a full day of nausea and diarrhoea. With the usual tabs I'd just have bouts of diarrhoea and nausea throughout the day. I tried to get my docs to take me off and they insisted I had to be on it (I tried several times too saying I couldn't handle it... but they'd tell me I have to be on it). I don't want to scare you but my stomach has never been the same since and I now have chronic digestive problems. I can't say for sure it was caused by metformin, but one thing I do know is I was perfectly fine prior to metformin. Maybe the drug just triggered things on me, not sure. But I don't have fond memories of it. I know it works well for a lot of people, but then there is a group of us that it doesn't work well for. My docs had to take me off all oral meds anyhow when they found out my pancreas isn't producing sufficient insulin. Oral meds are useless at that point. I'm on insulin these days. I hope things settle down for you... if they don't try to be as assertive as you can to get off the drug. I wish when I think back that my docs listened and agreed to take me off it and part of me wonders if they did that would I be so sick now. I was never put on vitamin B12 either which apparently is important too as I read a study that showed it depletes you of that vitamin and if you are depleted of vitamin B12 long term it can cause you problems. I only read about that recently though... would've been good to know when I was on the drug. I wish I could sing it's praises, but I can't from my own experience.... it wasn't kind to me. I wish you the best. :)

Hiya Mep,

Thanks for the heads up regarding possible damage to the digestive system.

I am very lucky. I have a great doctor, when I told him of the problems I was having with metformin he halved the dose immediately and has put me on some brand new drug (so new I won't even know the name until I pick it up later today). My problem is that Metformin gives me great control, but a terrible tum!

Prov

Reactions: 4 people

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I took Metformin (plain) for about 10 years in the past (for PCOS, before T2D). I learnt to tolerate it well, except with dairy - that was a major problem. I had to majorly reduce all dairy products, including cream, Greek yogurt and cheese (not to mention ice cream! :p)
Good luck!

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Larissima

lol @ the ice cream. I know that ice cream feeling. Don't tend to eat it much, but perhaps if I am at a party/celebration, I may find myself having a bit....then paying for it about four hours later. I will try the reduction of dairy, you never know, it may work. A friend with IBS has suggested this too. Thanks for taking the time to be in touch about this.

sugar-rush123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I find takin it after meal helps. Taking it before or during for me gives me the worst side effects. And if i hav too much carbs in a meal its more severe so i reduce as much as i can. Hope this helps

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I find takin it after meal helps. Taking it before or during for me gives me the worst side effects. And if i hav too much carbs in a meal its more severe so i reduce as much as i can. Hope this helps

I guess I spoke too soon. Or maybe it doesn't much matter whether I take it before during or after. Last night was the worst time so far. Attacks of diarrhoea, hourly or half hourly from 2.00 am to 6.00 am, combined with severe stomach pains. Eventually got to sleep as the sun was rising but I've been completely shattered all day.
What's the current thinking on splitting the pills and spreading them out over the day?

CAM4460

I took myself off Metformin SL, after six months, because my numbers remained at 130 mg/dl fasting. I been on another form of Metformin, Glucovane since January and I've seen minor improvements. After having highs of between 132-145 mg/dl fasting for the last month, this morning I was down to 99mg/dl. After the initial adjustments the side effects of both Metformin and Glucovane did not affect me, but I'm tweaking my medication and experimenting with diet and exercise. I refuse to be on diabetes medication long term.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I just gave up taking it. If you are being very good on low carbing you could well be able to take control of your sugars without it. I think it was the upset tums that convinced me that LCHF was the way to go and to remain medication free.
If you are testing regularly you could try reducing the dose or cutting it out altogether and monitor what happens for a few days. If your sugars spike then start taking it again. I'm no doctor but doubt a week off it would have a major detrimental effect and you could at least be more than 2 yards from a toilet for a day or two.

sugar-rush123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I guess I spoke too soon. Or maybe it doesn't much matter whether I take it before during or after. Last night was the worst time so far. Attacks of diarrhoea, hourly or half hourly from 2.00 am to 6.00 am, combined with severe stomach pains. Eventually got to sleep as the sun was rising but I've been completely shattered all day.
What's the current thinking on splitting the pills and spreading them out over the day?
Its horrible isnt it..i would give the splitting it up a try. Have you tried asking your gp to try the slow release version? I find i have eased up but im 4 months into it now but tempted to ask for alow release

Reactions: 2 people

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike

Poor Donuts! I know exactly how it feels. Really really tiring. Try spreading them out throughout the day. It is such a pain, try and see if it settles down a bit. If not, down to the GP for the slow release version. Hope you are feeling better soon.