Metformin side effects?

mj14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Went back to Doctors yest and he put me on Metformin. Told me to start with 1 500mg in the morning and after a few days another in the eve with meal. Eventually to up the dose to 4 a day. Told me of side effects and has put me right off before I've even started!!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Poggle19102

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Self pity, selfishness,
Hi mj14. Not sure what side effects your doctor has told you about. I can only give you my experience. I was put on metformin 500 x 4 daily immediately on diagnosis. The result was an extremely upset stomach with diahorea and a little vomiting. I have since discovered that 3 doses daily suit me best and was backed up by my GP and over time it has all settled down. Hopefully the dose your starting on will allow your body to get use to it before full dose is given.

mj14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's what he said, apparently with 2/3wks I should be taking the full 4 tabs. He also said gotta go back in a month for cholesterol tabs and 2 wks later for blood pressure tabs but wouldn't give all at once as he wouldn't know which one was effecting me (if they do at all). Christ I will be rattling lol with all the meds he is prescribing me.....

Shouldn't make light of it but Loo Roll is on my holster belt as we speak!!!!!

Poggle19102

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Self pity, selfishness,
Hahaha. That's a good idea. I really hope that introducing it slowly will help but, be prepared is a very good motto. Sounds like your GP is very sensible. I was put on so many meds due to other health issues all at once that I didn't know what was causing the effects. Thank god for Tescos home delivery that's all I can say.

Reactions: 2 people

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For many people it settles down in a short period but if not do ask your GP for the slow release version (also known as Glucophage) which was much better for me. To minimise any possible problems try to make sure you take them mid meal if possible.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

csholdom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Went back to Doctors yest and he put me on Metformin. Told me to start with 1 500mg in the morning and after a few days another in the eve with meal. Eventually to up the dose to 4 a day. Told me of side effects and has put me right off before I've even started!!!!

Hi
Just looking at the forum. I have been on metformin 500mg, 1 per day for about 2 years now. When I first stated taking them, I had the usual side effects of stomach cramps etc. I asked my GP for the slow release tablets (SR), which I tried and al the side effects disappeared. I know I'm only on 1 tablet a day but it did work for me. I assume the Slow release metformin tablets are more expensive than the normal ones, hence they weren't prescribed initially, but if you're not already on the SR ones, insist that you go on them. Best of luck

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi MJ

You may be lucky and not get any unpleasant side effects. I started on one metformin last month and have been fine. I read that it should be taken mid-meal (not before or after). Maybe this is the trick or maybe it is down to the luck of the draw. All the best.

mj14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok we'll I have failed already lol, took 1st tab this morning whilst preparing food. Will do it mid meal tomoz. I luv this forum cos I am learning new things daily. X

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi MJ14,

I too had problems with Metformin, I did as MADBAZ suggested, taking my tablets mid meal and it did ease things.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Definately ask for the SR version I was almost house bound before mine were changed and dont worry if they are not Glucophage because that is just a trade name and there are other SR or MR (modified release) same thing I sandwich mine in the middle of a meal for best results
CAROL

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Well now I am worried!

Try not to worry. Stress is bad for your blood :) Give the one tab a try and if you tolerate it well for a week or so, move up to two. If you find you don't get on with it, ask for the slow release. It is the more expensive version, so I believe you have to give the regular version a try first (with my doctor at least)

Don't let your doc rush you.

Jumapi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bad language; Bad manners; crumbs in the butter! Walking in the rain or high winds.
Hi, I am sleeping way more than I ever did before but not during "normal" sleeping hours. I have alway slept odd hours compared to most people so my sleeping habits have been strange to some but not a problem until now. I rarely see much of morning. Last night I was up a long time through the early hours with diarrhoea. I take Metformin x 500mgs twice daily now along with other medication since I was diagnosed type 2 two months ago. The upset bowel seems to happen more if I take it much later than say 6:30pm. I live alone since my husband died there is no one else to consider here. My problem is, I don't like going out alone and can have panic attacks. So not much exercise! I have had to change my eating habits which I accept and I do my best. My problem is I don't get hungry. Days like today after a bad night, I don't really want to eat at all. I guess I have to though do I?
. How much constitutes a "meal". Is there a rule that says I must eat? My blood sugar has been tested and is usually recorded at around 6.5. I don't really know what to do.
Jumapi

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup, the SR version is the right solution if you suffer stomach problems. You may also have a metallic taste for a while which is another known side effect. It does fade eventually but took me 6 months!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi, I am sleeping way more than I ever did before but not during "normal" sleeping hours. I have alway slept odd hours compared to most people so my sleeping habits have been strange to some but not a problem until now. I rarely see much of morning. Last night I was up a long time through the early hours with diarrhoea. I take Metformin x 500mgs twice daily now along with other medication since I was diagnosed type 2 two months ago. The upset bowel seems to happen more if I take it much later than say 6:30pm. I live alone since my husband died there is no one else to consider here. My problem is, I don't like going out alone and can have panic attacks. So not much exercise! I have had to change my eating habits which I accept and I do my best. My problem is I don't get hungry. Days like today after a bad night, I don't really want to eat at all. I guess I have to though do I?
. How much constitutes a "meal". Is there a rule that says I must eat? My blood sugar has been tested and is usually recorded at around 6.5. I don't really know what to do.
Jumapi

Hi Jumapi

From experience, lack of appetite, anxiety and sleeping odd hours can sometimes be symptoms of depression. Hope you are keeping in touch with your doctor.

For exercise, there are lots of free videos on YouTube that you might enjoy. Search for the name Leslie Sansone. Or just put on your favourite tunes and bop about!

I don't know what the definition of a meal is, but you need to eat something for nutrition. Will leave that question for someone clever. Take care :)

Jumapi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bad language; Bad manners; crumbs in the butter! Walking in the rain or high winds.
Thanks Avocado Sevenfold. I am already taking treatment for depression and anxiety. I am also on Prednisolone (steroids) for poly myalgia and have osteoarthritis. I do realise there are lots of people much worse off than I am. Because I've been on meds for depression and anxiety for many years off and on it didn't occur to me it could have got worse. Although I tend to think it's just me, I did wonder if it was the Metformin. I will take note of your comments and I will try to see my Dr again soon. At the age of 76 and alone after 52 yrs of marriage I feel defeated.
Jumapi

Jumapi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yup, the SR version is the right solution if you suffer stomach problems. You may also have a metallic taste for a while which is another known side effect. It does fade eventually but took me 6 months!
Many thanks. I am going to see my Dr so I will ask for the SR version. I hadn't heard of it until today.
Jumapi

K

Kat100

Good luck with taking the tablets, it really does improve, just a bit of tweaking may be needed x
I sleep so much better as well....x

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't anticipate problems that may not occur. It doesn't affect everyone. I take it mid-meal and I've never had any of the side effects others have reported. (Not being smug, just trying to put it into context .....)