Metformin sr and erectile dysfunction

latino

Hi,

Although I have been diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic for a number of years I have only recently been prescribed oral medication, tried metformin it was not tolerable due to gastric problems and severe heartburn so I was then given Januvia which although no side effects were encountered it did nothing to my BG levels I am now on metformin SR although I am tolerating this form, although I am now suffering from erectile dysfunction after taking it for 3 weeks and as I have never suffered this problem before.

I would appreciate to hear from any other user of metformin who may have experienced the same problem as it is not a mentioned side effect of this product.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
That is not in the listed side effects but possibly high blood sugars can also cause this by damaging blood vessels. What are your blood sugar levels just now ?

latino

Hi, thanks for the reply,
My readings were 17 before starting on Metformin SR they now average between 7 and 9 previously to starting medication I never experienced any problems even whilst on Januvia or the standard metformin.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I agree with Sue, this is not a known side effect of SR versions. It may well be down to high Bg levels as they can have a disastrous effect as she says by damaging the relevant blood vessels.

Here is a link to information about the causes of Erectile Dysfunction.
http://www.privatehealth.co.uk/articles ... sfunction/

Your high numbers may have already had some effect, I would suggest a referral to a Consultant Urologist would be able to help you.

suffolkboi61

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marzipan ewwwwwwwwww
My nephew T1 all his life did inform me last night that I can now get blue pills on prescription, but alas no good to me as I use a spray for me old ticker :roll: