Metformin Sr increased

Keron1972

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all,

I have been on metformin since January this year. I started off on 1 tablet 500mg once a day for 10 days then increased to 1 tablet 500mg twice a day. I had no symptoms of nausea the only problems I had was constipation and a very dry mouth.
Last week I went back to see the diabetic nurse, she increased my metformin 1 tablet in the morning and 2 in the evening. Since doing this I have had serious nausea in that I feel I will throw up. I feel light headed, energy levels have dropped massively and the look or smell of food is making everything worse. I can't eat anything without wanting to be sick. I have a constant build up what I can only describe as acid which is brown in colour. I have had some chest pains which I think is the acid build up. At first I thought it was a bug but there are no other symptoms to accommodate having a bug.

Can anyone give me advise as I can't take the extra dosage when it's making me feel so ill.

Thank you

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I had problems with Metformin at first but I didnt have chest pains.
I think you should see your doctor.

Reactions: 2 people

Keron1972

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I had problems with Metformin at first but I didnt have chest pains.
I think you should see your doctor.

Thank you. I had no problems up until my dose was increased last week. Prior to last week i had more energy than ever, i have been eating a healthy diet and started at the gym. Now i have no energy, cant stomach food at all and constantly feel sick. I think the chest like pain could be down to a build up of what I can only describe as acid. I will go back to the doctors tomorrow as I'm not liking all this pain and side affects.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome Keron1972
Metformin can take a while to get used to but it shouldn't make you feel so ill, I agree with Patricia21 you need to see your GP as soon as possible

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Metformin SR shouldn't make you feel ill or have the symptoms you are experiencing. I would see the GP and ask for it to be stopped. It only has a small effect on blood sugar anyway and a low-carb diet has a more dramatic effect. Metformin has become 'standard' for diabetics just like statins. For most it is harmless (if SR) and does help a bit but as the leaflet says there can be side effects for a few

Keron1972

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the advise. I have been in bed for pretty much 3 days with not feeling well. I have had very little to eat as I really can't stomach food. My fluid intake is very minimal to as again I can't stomach it. I have stopped the metformin as I really don't know if it's that causing all these symptoms or I have picked up some kind of bug. I have been constipated since I started on the metformin however I do have a bowel movement once every 2 days which is not normal for me. I have spoke to my diabetic nurse and she informed me the metformin will not cause constipation and should be quite the opposite.

I'm at a complete loss with what is going on with me, my mood has been all over the place since Friday when this sickness and cramps started to the point my partner wants to leave as can't cope with me :-(

I'm seeing a dietician tomorrow morning which was arranged by the diabetic nurse as I still don't have a clue what I should and shouldn't be eating. I will make appointment to see the diabetic nurse or doctor tomorrow as I can't carry on upsetting my family because I don't feel well in myself :-(

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI. I'm afraid I have to disagree with the nurse. I started taking Metformin SR 10 years ago and if anything it makes me nearer to being constipated. It's never been a problem but assuming you will have looser bowel movements with SR may be true for some but not everyone. Be aware that the NHS dietician may give you rather silly NHS diet advice. If he/she talks about having starchy carbs with every meal etc then my advice would be to follow what we all say on these forums and do the opposite to the NHS advice. If you have a meter then this will prove the point and if you haven't a meter then it is essentail to have one.

Reactions: 4 people

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From Diabetic Health
Metformin May Increase Cancer Risk In Smokers By Brenda Neugent

The diabetes drug metformin may also lower the risk of lung cancer – but only for those who don’t smoke.
Smokers, on the other hand, saw an increased risk of lung cancer while taking metformin, which helps control blood sugar levels in diabetes by suppressing the production of glucose by the liver.
“Our results suggest that risk might differ by smoking history. With metformin decreasing risk among nonsmokers and increasing risk among current smokers,” said Lori Sakoda, a research scientist at Kaiser Permanente Division of Research in Oakland, California.
The study included 47,351 diabetic patients 40 years of age and older who had included their smoking status in a health survey completed between 1994 and 1996.
During the 15 years of follow-up, 746 of those patients were diagnosed with lung cancer.
Those using metformin had a 31 percent lower risk of developing adenocarcinoma. The most common form of lung cancer in nonsmokers, if they had never smoked, while smokers using metformin had an 82 percent increased risk of developing small-cell carcinoma, a lung cancer commonly diagnosed in smokers.
The study appeared in the journal Cancer Prevention Research.
http://www.diabeteshealth.com/