Metformin SR side effects?

MadMat

I was switched from standard metformin to the SR version about t wo weeks ago, and since then the side effects seem to have got worse, not better!
Has anyone else had similar experience? is it possible that im simply not able to tolerate any form of metformin?

Currently taking 2x500mg twice a day, and have twice this weekend found myself breaking speed limits in my cab to get to a public convinience in time!!!

Mat

Unbeliever

When I switched o Sr it was along time before i saw any sort of improvement but it didnt' get worse. I have read posts here from pepople who said they couldn't tolerate metformin in any form and that their drs have taken them off it.
I believe there is a liquid version which some ind easier to tolerate.
Must be a nightmare in your job. if the symptoms have actually worsened and this is still the case after two weeks I should go back to the doctor.

desidiabulum

I found SR certainly didn't improve things for me. In the end they put me back on glipizide, which has other drawbacks (not least increased risk of hypos) but didn't mess with my digestion, which was an enormous relief. Maybe Unbeliever is right and I should have tried for longer, but diabetes is enough of a drag without all the stomach cramps and diarrhoea as well. For me the end came when I arrived to give a talk and was shown to the lectern and then suddenly had to sprint out of the room. The assembled room of dignitaries had to wait 20 minutes while I was stuck in the loo. They thought I'd tried to escape through the window...
Good luck!

Unbeliever

Sometimes it is just impossible to cope with these things . I suppose much depends on whether metformin actually works for y
ou as well aa causing side effects.

Maybe MadMat could ry taking just one tablet for a couple of days to see what happens . I was advised to try taking all my metformin at night before going o bed. Apparently the thinking is tha taking it then , while the gut is quiet will avoid the wors of the problems.
this didn't work for me but apparently can be quite successful.

We each have to decide just what we can tolerate depending upon our circumstances.

when i first started taking it and realised that there must be many others feeling just as bad doing the same hing I was errified to get in the car or even cross the road les tt some drivers were "under the met influence" Judging by Ma's story I was not oo far off the mark.

having to run out of the room just before giving a talk is probably not something you would wish to repeat either. The only hing is i suppose if i works and keeps you off more powerful mediacation it migh be worth persisting . Noot sure that risking your life or risking dying of embarrasment is worth it though.

MadMat

Generally have around a month wait to see the diabetic nurse at my surgery - think I might try reducing the dose to one tablet a day and stepping it slowly back up to the full 4 over a few weeks - give my body time to adjust to it slowly, same as is advised for starting normal Metformin.

I had stopped taking normal metformin altogether a couple of weeks before my last appointment as the side effects were making my job impossible, so maybe going straight in with 4 tablets a day was too much!

Mat

Emmerdale

I was put on Metformin two and a half weeks ago and managed 1 x 500 every day for 8 days but was too close for comfort for the bathroom 6 and 7 times a day ,I stopped taking them and rang the DN,she arranged a preescription for SR version this has the complete opposite effect on me every day, tomorrow is the last day of the "X Pert" course at my Dr,s so will try to have a word with the DN then,I dont want to have to start taking laxatives and I really do get my share of veggies ,fruit and fibre so dont know what the answer to this problem maybe things will improve with time ?

Unbeliever

I had stopped taking normal metformin altogether a couple of weeks before my last appointment as the side effects were making my job impossible, so maybe going straight in with 4 tablets a day was too much!

Mat[/quote]

I thinkthat might be it Mat, Maybe build up again slowly too. Wait until you can really tolerate each dose before moving up .

summer2013

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is my first time on the forum so Hi everyone,. I have been diabetic for just over a year, I had problems taking the normal Metformin and was put on Metformin SR. since then have felt great, but very seldom are my sugar levels below 9, this morning I was 12.4. My husband is also diabetic and he cant get low readings either. We watch what we eat especially me but just seem to be stuck.

stillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not been able to walk
Hello

I had a really bad time with Metformin Sr it actually put me in Hospital with severe pain and did absolutely nothing for my levels Januvia and Gliclazide have been prescribed although i no longer have pain i cant really see any point in continuing with them as they also do nothing for my levels at all

Stillo

summer2013

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take the Metformin SR, 4 at night and 1 Saxaglipton in the morning. My reading today again was 12.7. I am lucky that they both agree with me . I asked my diabetic nurse to see if I could speak to someone about what I eat but was handed a few pages from a folder that dont really give me any help. Glad you are free from the pain now.