metformin

gizmogirl

Hi Guys,

I recently got put on metformin 500 2 in morning 2 at night also simvistatin 40mg x1

I feel really tired my hba1c was 7.4 my cholesterol was 4.7 i lack energy and motivation.

can anyone help me as why im feeling like this?

Sally

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
At diagnosis I found I was lethargic with high blood reading, not physically tired just couldn't be bothered. But I got control by my 1 metformin, exercise and diet and feel better for it. So starting is the hardest bit, then the results keep you motivated to feel good.

hallii

I doubt that is the Metformin, but Simvstatin can make you feel tired. That is a fairly high dose so try splitting it into two doses, half in the morning and half at night. Statins are best taken at night before bed, you don't notice the tiredness so much and they seem to work better overnight.

It is quite possible your tiredness has nothing to do with your medications and you HbA1c is not bad.

So why not go and see the doc. and explain about your tiredness, there are a few tests he/she might do or maybe a change of medication might do the trick.

One last thought, are you drinking enough? 2 litres of water a day could make a difference, when we are dehydrated we tend to feel tired.

H

rinfrance

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It could be sugar or sugars that are actually making you like that. Hard wheat red and white does that to me as does sugar. I also wake and doze, have depressive feeling, that normally lasts for about 12-16 hours. I can take a little sugar, eg 1 knob without problem. Thing is, is the sugar I am consuming in jams etc from wheat!
The various metformin tests have screwed my vision for weeks, and that after 2-3 days of the rubbish, could not ride my bike for 6 weeks, the car was a serious effort for over 1 week and made me seriously consider stopping driving. I was so depressed with a/ the metformin, and b/ the sugar problem that | seriously considered buying a Lee Enfield, not a Royal Enfield!

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can see why you have been prescribed metformin as your HbA1c is higher than many people on this forum like to have.

It is probably your higher sugar levels that are causing the tiredness and not the metformin. If once your levels have come down and you are still experiencing tirednes get checked for anaemia, underactive thyroid, Vitamin D deficiency and Vitamin B12 deficiency as these all present with tiredness as a symptom.