Metformin

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I am a T2 but I do know T1's who take metformin to increase their sensitivity to injected insulin. This must be why your GP wants you to try it.

kangoo

I am type 1. Consultant had me on metformin for 3 years, she kept upping the dose until I reached the maximum.

No change in my hba1c so I stopped taking it. They said I was insulin resistant, but it turned out my stomach injection sites were lumpy and needing a rest.

As soon as I moved to thighs, insulin doses were greatly reduced. Turns out I had poor absorption, not insulin resistance

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Tigris

I'm type 2 and was diagnosed 2 months ago.

I told my Dermatologist and she said she wasn't surprised because my Hidrenitis Supurtiva and Diabetes type 2 go hand in hand. She immediately put me on Metformin. I started on 1 x day for 1st week, 2 x day for 2nd week and 3 a day now. She said it had lots of side effects, however, the advantages outweighed the side effects and to keep taking them if I could. The main side effect is diarrhea, however, I have never been affected this way. I do get flatulence more, however, using soya milk (sweetend, can't stand the unsweetened one. Can't drink it in coffee, however, I only drink coffee when I go visiting family and friends) and cutting down on bread, (always had problems with dairy products and bread), the flatulence has reduced to my normal levels.

:)

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am T1, have been for 27 years. I take 3 x 500mg Metformin every day. It has been very good for me, I was insulin resistant and my insulin doses kept creeping up and up. This caused me to put on huge amounts of weight, my self-esteem disappeared and I felt that there was no reason to keep on living. Metformin helped to slowly reduce my insulin requirement, which made losing weight easier. My life is coming back together again, but Metformin definitely helped to get me moving along the right track. I asked the other day if i should stop taking it, and was told in no uncertain terms that that would be a very big mistake. So, I am here today and very proud to say that I've made it through thanks to Metformin!

I hope it works for you! You can always give it ago and stop taking it if you want to . . . . . . :D

wintech42

The thing i find with 2000 mg of metformin a day is the hunger pangs.it gives me but im lucky not to have any other side effects from it but have just been put on 80mg of glucizade i think its called that for a month as my levels wont stabalise