1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Metformin

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Claire2332, May 12, 2014.

1. Claire2332

Claire2332 · Active Member

I am type 1 and use insulin novo rapid and levamer I have just been put on metformin, I am about 5 days in to and can honestly say my bmi is pretty good but my guts are taking the brunt of it! Has anyone else been put on this to help with weight loss like me and also how long did the stinky Ahole last LOL :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

The first thing to check is that you have been given the Slow Release (SR) version. I understand that this acts less like a laxative than the standard version. I never really knew why they gave it to me. It didn't help with losing weight and it never lowered my BG.

3. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Yes, do ask for the SR version which should make a big difference. If Met has been added due to excess weight, you may want to think about reducing your carb intake if you haven't already. This should help (you may need to reduce your insulin bit to avoid hypos so watch the blood sugar). If you can get the weight down, Metformin becomes less relevant but my DN suggested I stay on it although slim as she says it helps protect the kidneys etc. I think that's marginal but as I've been on SR for 10 years and no problems at all I've stayed on it.

4. SpikeThacker

SpikeThacker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

yeah...i'm type 1 and take insulin and metformin , 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening, and yes it does take farting to a whole new level.

5. Claire2332

Claire2332 · Active Member

Lol we'll I've started swimming half a mile twice a week in a month n half lost 8lb the doc said the metformin will help with my insulin

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

6. fansy

fansy Type 1 · Member

I'm on Metformin also and I don´t have any problem with my stomach. I always take it when I'm having a meal. I was given it to counteract the weight gain I had when I started to take Amitriptilyne for my neuropathy.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook