Metformin

jacko3469

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi what is the most amount of metformin you can in one day.
Im currently just had my tablets increased from 2 in the morning and 1 at night. I am now on 2 in morning 2 at night and my blood is still at 13.6 2 hours after food. I am eating healthy same as before and blood levels still not going down

Reactions: 3 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The maximum is 2000mg. Metformin never has a great effect on blood sugar and the right diet is usually the highest priority. You say you are eating healthily but can you let us know what sort of foods you have. We have all been told by the establishment that we should have low-fat and plenty of carbs. This is not usually good advice for us and as you will see around the forum, many have a low-carb diet, as carbs are converted to glucose in the body, and enough protein and fat to feel full. Perhaps you can also let us know whether you have any excess weight as this affects the ability to get blood sugar down.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@jacko3469 - Hi. I take the maximum daily dose of Metformin 2000mg (2 in morning and 2 in evening) and have been taking this amount for 4 years. Metformin lowers the amount of sugar created by the Liver, and decreases the amount of sugar absorbed by the intestines.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Metformin is a small tool to assist you - the main work must be done via diet and exercise.

Too many people think that because they have been given some pills that they are O.K. and don't need to change their lifestyle.

As requested above, please give us details of your diet so we can help.

jacko3469

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I eat very healthy and train every other day due to myself playing on national racketball events and tours

jacko3469

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As for my food i have porridge from breakfast. Salad for lunch and grilled meat at night. My nurse says my weight is very good especially happy with all my exercise

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Apart from the porridge which can cause sugar spikes you seem to be eating sensibly with a good weight. Be aware that some T2s are actually mis-diagnosed Late onset T1s (I am one of those). I'm not saying you are, but being fairly slim with a low-carb diet but not keeping blood sugar down are pointers. There are two tests, GAD and c-peptide, that can be done. Your GP could start you on something like Gliclazide to stimulate the pancreas which is the standard 2nd tablet if it is suspected the pancreas is not delivering. I had to suggest it to my diabetes GP (!) and he agreed.

jacko3469

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ok thank you i have seen my nurse last week who up my evening tablets from 1 to 2 and to see doctor before i go on tour in 7 days, she also told me to take bloods before and 2 hours after eating my average before food is about 7 but afterwards my lowest was 9 but mainly between 12 and 13