Methi suggestions please

bronte

Hi,

I am always on the lookout for new foods to try and whilst shopping in Tesco's this morning I came across a packet of frozen Methi (fenugreek leaves) at Tesco but I haven't got a clue what to do with it. I wondered whether I treat it like frozen spinach.

Nutritional info per 130g
Total fat 1g
og/mg of saturated fat cholesterol
Sodium 90mg
CHO 7g
Fibre 4g
Sugar 0g
Protein 5g.

If anyone has used this I would really appreciate any suggestions .
Many thanks

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
If you do a Google search Bronte,it brings up a lot of Indian recipes.You may find how to use it in them.Looks like you probably do use it like spinach though.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Wiki states :

The rhombic yellow to amber colored fenugreek seed, commonly called maithray, is frequently used in the preparation of pickles, curry powders, and pastes, and is often encountered in the cuisine of the Indian subcontinent. The young leaves and sprouts of fenugreek are eaten as greens, and the fresh or dried leaves are used to flavor other dishes. The dried leaves (called kasturi methi) have a bitter taste and a strong characteristic smell.

Steve.

Knapweed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Methi is very strong flavoured and quite bitter. i use it when i cook Madras curry, it's a last minute addition along with garam masala.

K

dmilnes

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We keep a small stock of dried methi leaves (fenugreek), as a use I learned from my mother, who got it from Asian Indian friends, is to add it to cauliflower when used in curries - it tastes fabulous!
Since then, I have also stocked methi seeds, but I haven't yet really tried the spice on its own, to see how it tastes.
If it's also good to reduce BG levels in diabetics, so much the better, as long as it's controlled carefully. Who knows how much would be over-use, in this context?

Reactions: 4 people

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
I use the fenugreek power mixed into an earl grey tea in the mornings and also sprinkle the methi dried leaves into stews and sauces.