Mhmmm? Interesting

Matthew1990

Dislikes
Working.
Working
and
Working!
I had dinner earler (wholemeal egg sandwiches x 2 and a ready salted light packet of crisps) and after 2 hours I scored 7.9 and when checking now 3 hours and 45 minutes later I score 9.2?

Is this because it is taking longer for the food to go into my blood stream explain the increase from 7.8 and 9.2?

I injected 2mmol of humalog insulin for this meal, attending carbo course next month!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Bread in the sandwich and the potato in the crisps are both starchy slower acting carbs which take longer to absorb into blood stream.

Matthew1990

Dislikes
Working.
Working
and
Working!
Ive just had jacket potato, corn beef pie and beans/sausage for my evening meal.

I'm guessing these are more slower acting carbs? But i've got work now so it'll work out we'll im guessing?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Not only are they slow acting but that is a LOT of carbs to eat in one go !! :shock: :shock:

Matthew1990

Dislikes
Working.
Working
and
Working!
Oh, I havent been to the carb counting course yet, I'm guessing my blood sugar is going to be high then? I can't check in work so Ill have to check it when I come home, it'll be 5 hours after my evening meal and I would have worked 4 hours of it!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Matthew1990 said:
Ive just had jacket potato, corn beef pie and beans/sausage for my evening meal.

I'm guessing these are more slower acting carbs? But i've got work now so it'll work out we'll im guessing?

Matt.

You need to take on board the advice you have been given in the many other posts you have had answered regarding carbohydrates........until you do your control is not going to be very good. :(

Matthew1990

Dislikes
Working.
Working
and
Working!
What do you suggest though? I'm totally puzzled, the nurse said I can eat normally? Help please :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Matt.
Follow the advice you get on here. It's good advice......I followed a HCP's advice for years and it nearly killed me. I cannot eat normally........I have to control my carb intake otherwise I would end up in trouble.

It's your choice Matt......many people on here are experienced Diabetic's who are giving you the benefit of that experience. What advice you chose to listen too is a matter for you.

ME, I would tell the Nurse that things are not so good for you whilst following the advice given. :(

iHs

Matt

Do you live in East Anglia at all?

Certain hospitals dont believe in carb counting or adjusting insulin according to what you eat. They just tell people to eat normally and inject insulin in set amounts with the hope that bg control will be ok. When questioned about this, their response is - ' We want to make life easy for diabetics', but what happens in reality is that people usually develop very unstable control because they don't know any better.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
iHs said:
Matt

Certain hospitals dont believe in carb counting or adjusting insulin according to what you eat. They just tell people to eat normally and inject insulin in set amounts with the hope that bg control will be ok. When questioned about this, their response is - ' We want to make life easy for diabetics', but what happens in reality is that people usually develop very unstable control because they don't know any better.

That is unbelievable iHs, carb counting and matching insulin to suit is the only way to control type 1 diabetes. Even in the days of carbohydrate exchanges the insulin doses given for each meal were based on a set amount of carbs and patients were encouraged to alter the dose accordingly. life isn't easy if you are faced with diabetic complications! :x

Nigel

Hazza

Hi Matt, as was said in another post. My daughter is only 7 and obviously weighs a lot less than you but when she was diagnosed her carb ratios were 20:1.
You could still be producing some of your own insulin and that may be why you were told to take 2 units before your meals, but that doesn't cover all meals.
Lets say you had a salad with cheese or Tuna then there would be little carbs in that and 2 units could be too much and make you hypo. On the other hand if you had a 12" pizza then there would be loads of carbs and they would be slow acting so 2 units would no where near cover it and you could be well into double figures. So you see, you can eat what you want to an extent but you need to match your insulin intak to acount for the number of carbs.
Another example:
Breakfast 1, Sausage egg bacon and tomatoes. Not so many carbs.
Breakfasr 2, 3 Weetabix with milk and 2 slices of toast. Much more carbs.
2 very different meals with much different insulin requirements.

Ask to see a dietician who can explain carb counting.
Good luck

Harry

iHs

noblehead said:
iHs said:
Matt

That is unbelievable iHs, carb counting and matching insulin to suit is the only way to control type 1 diabetes. Even in the days of carbohydrate exchanges the insulin doses given for each meal were based on a set amount of carbs and patients were encouraged to alter the dose accordingly. life isn't easy if you are faced with diabetic complications! :x

Nigel

Yes it does seem unbelievable. I had to see it to believe it myself and was very :shock: :twisted:
but I kid you not - it goes on.

Matthew1990

Dislikes
Working.
Working
and
Working!
I understand you all fully and will take the advice on board. The diabetic nurse has told me to take 2mmol before meals because she thinks I'm still producing some insulin of my own but this can't be correct if I am scoring highly 2-4 hours after meals. Ill be attending the carbo counting course next month now and to be frank I can't wait because I will learn the correct relationship between injecting the correct amount of insulin with meals and how to understand difference between slow acting foods and fast acting foods, so basically then at the moment as I haven't been to the carbo counting course, reduce the amount of carbs I eat and eat salads, chicken, egg etc etc. Also tomorrow night I'm having a takeaway in the evening and have been told to take an extra injection before I have it of 2mmol.

JIMDOG1

Dislikes
patranising dr and nurses lol
Hi Matt

i know its hard when starting out im struggaling somtimes on watching the carbs last night i had to spend 15min in corner shop finding a few bits of food that were low in carbs sugar etc normaly i would be less than 5 min id just grab rubish of shelf im yet to see dietician but im trying and there is very helpfull information given by the members of this forum they have helped me so much to point that at moment on watching my food coupled with my job i have to be very carefull of hypos as 3 nights in row and and some in day ive been dropping some times down to low of 3.7 as im on insulin and metformin at mo for type 2.

It will make sense to some one :roll:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Matthew1990 said:
There aren't many food that are low in carbs though?? :(

Meat, Fish, Cheese, Veg loads more ........get yourself a Carb counting book from any good stationers costs about £3,99. Then when you have looked through that come back and tell us there aren't many foods low in carbs ! :roll:

Sorry Matt.....YOU need to do your homework......

Matthew1990

Dislikes
Working.
Working
and
Working!
Sorry Cugila, i'm new to all this, it's alot to take in, I promise you i am going to put in the hardwork and effort to control my diabetes and live a healthy fit long life :) I've got that carbo counting book, it's very small and havent looked at it yet :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
That's OK Matt. We know it's all very confusing and new.....however we can't 'spoon feed' you everything.

You really have got to sit down, read through the advice you have been given from many people and work things out methodically. Once you do that things will begin to drop into place. It will get easier but you have to work with the information we give you.

No problem with questions ......keep asking but read through that little book and see what we are talking about in 'reducing' carbs is valid information. We can support you but it is your Diabetes and you have to work it out.

ATB. :)

Matthew1990

Dislikes
Working.
Working
and
Working!
Yeah sorry Cugila if i've been annoying i do apologise, just had a good browse through the book, surprising how much stuff is very low in carb/no carbs at all, I just need to write down all the stuff that has low carb and low sugar and i'll be fine and it will be controlled.

Obvious I can still eat whatever on occasions, just got to know how much insulin to inject to cover me for that meal etc, gonna be a long process but will be worth it :D. Especially looking forward to the carbo counting course next month aswell :D

iHs

A good book which shows visual pictures of the carb content of lots of food is called 'Carbs and Cals'. Lots of dsns are getting to know about this book and are recommending it to people. Search for it using google. If you have an iPhone you can download it as an app. Also, the carbohydrate content is displayed on many foods in supermarkets that come in packets. Just go by the carb content and not what turns to sugar.