Miaomiao 1 vs 2

RSJ1301

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I’ve been using the MM1 for a few years now and getting and Apple Watch has vastly improved its usefulness to me. Previously I used a Garmin FR645 but the link now seems to have broken and I can’t get it to work.

I was about to charge up my sensor today and discovered that the charger cable had melted around one of the pins... a bit of an eye opener and I’m not using that cable again! I think it may have been shorted at some point.

It looks like Miaomiao don’t supply Type 1 cables (or stickers either, for that matter) to the UK but I have found a 4 pin cable on eBay that will do the job - I’ll just tape over the middle two pins. But if this didn’t work I wondered if I would be as well upgrading to a MM2.

Has anyone had any experience of a MM1 vs a MM2? Thinner profile sounds good (I am forever knocking my transmitter against doorframes, etc) but what about battery life and Bluetooth range?

And if I stay with the MM1, what do people stick them on with if they have no original adhesive stickers?

Reactions: SueO246

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was enticed by the lower profile on MM2 and have been using it for just over a year.
As a transmitter it has been great and converting my Libre to a CXGM has been wonderful.

But, MM2's lower profile comes at a cost - battery life. It never lasted 14 days which meant that I had to charge it before my Libre had expired. Now, it lasts 3 days.
If I had my life again, I would buy a MM1.

However, I have not replaced my MM2. I am waiting for Libre 2 which with the patched LibreLink app shoudl be able to do away with the transmitter all together.
Libre 2 is now on my prescription but after a couple of failed Libre 1 sensors, I have a couple of replacement sensors to use before I trial Libre 2 and then new transmitter free world.

I did plan ahead and bought a surplus of stickers to hold my MM2 in place so not had to worry about replacing the stickers. However, there are a couple of options - doublesided sticky tape or a 3D printed band from eBay.

I was able to purchase a second charging cable. Did you try miaomiao.cool and miaomiao.eu? It was a while ago but surprised they are no longer available.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I’ve been using the MM1 for a few years now and getting and Apple Watch has vastly improved its usefulness to me. Previously I used a Garmin FR645 but the link now seems to have broken and I can’t get it to work.

I was about to charge up my sensor today and discovered that the charger cable had melted around one of the pins... a bit of an eye opener and I’m not using that cable again! I think it may have been shorted at some point.

It looks like Miaomiao don’t supply Type 1 cables (or stickers either, for that matter) to the UK but I have found a 4 pin cable on eBay that will do the job - I’ll just tape over the middle two pins. But if this didn’t work I wondered if I would be as well upgrading to a MM2.

Has anyone had any experience of a MM1 vs a MM2? Thinner profile sounds good (I am forever knocking my transmitter against doorframes, etc) but what about battery life and Bluetooth range?

And if I stay with the MM1, what do people stick them on with if they have no original adhesive stickers?

Hi,

I use a MM2 with a stand alone smart watch. I've recently planted an L2.
I can inform you that the bridge does not NFC scan the L2's different algorithm.

Those chargers for MM have a magnetic attachment corresponding to the correct pole. If those charging pins make contact to something metal due to the magnets drawing them in, (the legs to my monitor. Or another end of a seperate USB cable?)
they can short.
I normally unplug the USB first, prior to disconnecting the bridge.

Edited to add; I use an armband with a laser printed holder to keep mine in place.

Last edited:

RSJ1301

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I went on to the MiaoMiao website it did have both charging cable and stickers listed but when I tried to purchase it came up with a message that they were not available for UK delivery. Tried it a couple of times without success... maybe I need to try on a different computer in case it’s a cookie thing.

RSJ1301

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quick update... tried it in a different browser and it has all gone through. Relief! I ended up on the .cool website though, not the .eu one.

The battery life issue in the MM2 sounds poor, my MM1 keeps going for a month between recharges. I’ll just have to be more careful going through doors...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I went on to the MiaoMiao website it did have both charging cable and stickers listed but when I tried to purchase it came up with a message that they were not available for UK delivery. Tried it a couple of times without success... maybe I need to try on a different computer in case it’s a cookie thing.

Oddly i just tried looking at the Watllaa site for you..

These connectors are pretty similar...

2021-02-15 15.48.09.jpg

RSJ1301

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jaylee... I’ve done a bit of research today, these magnetic attaching connectors seem to be standard across a wide variety of devices, and there seems to be two varieties... two pin versions like this (fit MM2) and four pin ones that seem to be the version used on the MM1, though interestingly the MM1 transmitter has 4 pins whilst the charging cable has only two (the outer ones). I suspect it might do data and power, whilst the 2 pin variety just do power. Any electronics experts about?

I’ve gone off the idea of the MM2, despite what they say about improved Bluetooth connection once I’ve got mine linked it is a pretty solid wireless connection. I use mine to keep an eye on my BG on long runs, the only problem I’ve had is the Libre sensor getting too cold to give a reading. It doesn’t sound like the Libre 2 will actually give you live BG readings, just prompt you to check when it falls before a certain level. I like to know well in advance what the trend is and on long runs being told my BG is low is probably too late as the actual BG (as opposed to tissue glucose) will likely be much lower.