1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Military type 1

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by leighrickards, Mar 9, 2013.

1. leighrickards

leighrickards Type 1 · Member

Has anyone become diabetic upon return from operations or traumatic experience/shock in their lives?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

3. Charlie500

Charlie500 · Member

I recently went on a 'course' at my hospital with several other type 1 diabetics in the area all ranging in age ranging from myself at 20 into late 40's, but during this period was one male who was diagnosed type 1 after serving a length in Afghanistan as a military plastic surgeon. He believes something about his time spent out there was the due cause of his diagnosis, until then I never knew about such a thing but I guess it is a real issue!

4. lynde89

lynde89 · Well-Known Member

Yes, my brother. He did a tour in Afghanistan & was later diagnosed with type 1. He's currently waiting for his med board. Is it type 1 you have?

I have family members who are convinced both mine & my brothers type 1 was caused by some kind if trauma.

5. leighrickards

Yeah it is type 1. I was away in afghan last year. Job was searching for IEDs with the EOD Taskforce, was in an attack where 2 of my lads were killed and 8 injured, I was first on scene at the carnage caused by rocket!

6. leighrickards

I am also being medically retired paperwork for pap 10 with medical officer

7. anna29

anna29 Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Hello All .

Interesting thread :thumbup:
    Hope "more" military or service persons will and can add their points of views here .

Stress is definetely a factor whether through injury/illness of service trauma .
    Remember reading article in a magazine similar with lads from USA returning from vietnam war zones .
    Some had resulted to the onset of Diabetes .

Similar points to consider I have found both interesting and enlightening .
    There must be some sort of trigger to this upon the human body aside from the stress
    injury trauma ?
    Or is it 'this' that acts as the trigger switch to it happening :shock:
    Certainly thought provoking factor to consider ...

Anna.

Anna.

8. Pilgrim22

Pilgrim22 LADA · Well-Known Member

I served 23 years in the army, and was medically discharged after being involved in a blast. I was diagnosed with diabetes while in hospital after a heart attack. I was sedentary for 10 years after discharge. Doc thinks I had been diabetic for around 2 years.

9. leighrickards

I have now been made aware of another lad at my last Regt who has been diagnosed T1 upon return from an arduous, stressful course. I agree that there must be a link in here somewhere.

10. ElyDave

ElyDave Type 1 · Well-Known Member

in my case the stress was a dose of flu that laid me out flat for about 4 days, appeared on Thursday but as I was going home Friday I worked through it.

Speaking to the consultant at my annual review just before Christmas, his view was that there is an underlying susceptibility/genetic predisposition and the external stressor may be enough to tip the scales from reduced/declining pancreatic function to a point where it becomes clinically diagnosable as T1D.

I realise the stress of a dose of flu is not comparable to the military experiences, but it's that extra stress that just triggers the autoimmune response.

• Like Like x 5
  11. lynde89

lynde89 · Well-Known Member

I definitely think there is a link. My brother was on similar op leighrickards. He won't talk about it but I know he has personally had a run in with an IED & been under attack from mortars. Seeing his fellow troop lose part of a limb.
    After returning he & his missus were in a car accident, 3 cars written off whilst she was pregnant. He was diagnosed just after the baby was born. Im sure they were triggers.
    As for me, I had 2 heart ops at the age of 3 (the first went wrong), I was diagnosed at 4 & a half.
    Also want to say thank you for your service!!

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook