MILK and Diabetes

princeasl

Hi, I am hoping someone might be able to help, sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but I have just been told I am type 2 so learning.. Could someone kindly fill me in on the whole topic of "Milk" i.e what affects does it have, is it bad for someone with type 2 etc.. I currently drink shed loads! Please HELP! Thanks!

Helenababe

Hi Princeasl.

Milk contains carbs, so it is best to cut it down.
I like milk and sometimes have a glass, usually at night when my sugar's at it's lowest, but just found out from someone on here that you can buy lactose free milk, lactose being sugar, so you could try that.

Helena

princeasl

WOW! Helena, thanks for the quick response, this may explain a few things...I know my milkman does deliver lacto free so will try that and see how I get on... Thanks again :) :D

lyn hathawy

thats helped me a lot helen ive always liked to drink milk but since been diagnosed in january ive stayed well clear apart from what ive had on cereals.
also welcome to the site princeasl

princeasl

Thanks Lyn and Thanks again Helena, just ordered my first batch of Lacto Free Milk, will get it in the morning and let you know how I get on :) It's a lot more expensive I get 2.5 Ltrs for !£1.99 of normal milk either semi or full, but lacto is £1.49 for 1Ltr..oh well health comes first! Thanks again! :) :D

marti

Welcome aboard i am Martina from Canada, i am a type 2 diabetic for 7 years and i am on Lantus insulin. this is a great board to get lots of great info on

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to crave milk. It has a lot of lactose (sugar) in it, and I eventually weaned myself off it completely.

princeasl

Given up! I don't know where to start, some people say Milk is ok some say it's not, it looks like to me, we are only allowed WATER! as even Diet drinks have that cancer ingredient in it! So you go one way or another!

My MMOL level is 21, yes 21 I didn't want to start meds as I didn't want to be on them for the rest of my life! Tried everything to get sugar levels down naturally! Brought them down from 27MML

Just feeling very lost!

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
princeasl said:
Given up! I don't know where to start, some people say Milk is ok some say it's not, it looks like to me, we are only allowed WATER! as even Diet drinks have that cancer ingredient in it! So you go one way or another!

My MMOL level is 21, yes 21 I didn't want to start meds as I didn't want to be on them for the rest of my life! Tried everything to get sugar levels down naturally! Brought them down from 27MML

Just feeling very lost!

I pretty much don drink milk, if I do it's like a swig every now and then. Try buying almond milk, it's very low carb and tastes good. Your levels are quite high

Try o cut down drastically or stop eating bread, rice, potatoes and pasta, you will be surprised and your BG Levels should come way own. :D

princeasl

Thank you so much for your comments, will try and do that, Rice is a big part of my diet, so will have to learn without that or move to Brown Rice which I heard is supposed to be good for BG! I will order that Almond Milk now! Thanks again

princeasl

I just found this, does this make sense to anyone?

http://www.milk.co.uk/page.aspx?intPageID=46

They say that Milk helps reduce the risk of getting Type 2????

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
princeasl said:
I just found this, does this make sense to anyone?

http://www.milk.co.uk/page.aspx?intPageID=46

They say that Milk helps reduce the risk of getting Type 2????

Erm, anything with carbs in it is not the best for a diabetic, I bet you can google any food and find the health benefits of it from somewhere :thumbup:

The NHS diet guidelines say you should eat starchy carbs with every meal because its good for you, you won't find 1 person here that does that as is not healthy for a diabetic.

I believe like may here a low carb, Sugarfree diet is the best way forward for controlling your BG levels, it's a bit of a steep learning curve, but once you know it's quite easy to do. I keep to a maximum of 35g carbs per day it's a very low carb diet, but as soon as I have anything with more carbs in it my levels shoot up.

princeasl

Thanks for a quick response, but this was the UK Milk Council and for them to make such a categoric and bold statement like this was a bit strange when most know otherwise.....

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not very strange. They want you to buy and drink lots of it, so they are bound to say it's good for you.

Really, don't fret too much about milk, concentrate on slashing your carb intake in the form of 'The White Stuff' (but not cauliflower).

wiflib

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
princeasl said:
Thanks for a quick response, but this was the UK Milk Council and for them to make such a categoric and bold statement like this was a bit strange when most know otherwise.....

Again, same argument as NHS diet, eat carbs with every meal, do that for a week and I bet you feel bad, cereals are bad for a diabetic, Kellogg's sponsers diabetes UK, figure that one out!

Seriously, read the posts on this forum, low carb is the way to go. I think you are stuck in the knowledge you have been fed since a kid, like most people, me included. Once you get past that carbs are bad and are in most things, then the light at the end of the tunnel will appear :D

Keep asking questions.....

:thumbup:

Grazer

Even if there WAS a degree of truth in "milk helps to prevent diabetes", it doesn't mean it's good for you once you GET diabetes. I have half a small glass of lactofree milk before bed. Lacto free is just over half the carbs of normal milk, but still therefore has some carbs.

jwhiteside

Have you tried Soya milk?

I used it a long time before I found out I was diabetic due to a slight lactose intolerance, and there are plenty that are unsweetened.

They can also have beneficial effects re cholesterol too.

ono

Hi,
I was surprised to read about the high content of carb in milk in this thread, as far as i can see in my semi skimmed milk, it's 4.8% carb, that i consider to be rather low, am I missing something?

I can thoroughly recommend switching between Low Fat Soya Milk (they call it 'Drink' now) and Semi ~Skimmed Goats Milk. I gave up Cows Milk 20 years ago. Digestion and BG levels much improved.

MAUREEN Type 2 on Levemir - well controlled!