Milk

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I limit my milk to a dash in my tea. I also cannot cope with porridge of any sort. Those on here that can manage a small bowl of porridge generally use water, not milk, or cream. Low GI foods are better than high GI foods, but still contain carbs, which still turn to glucose, albeit not as quickly

Reactions: 3 people

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
Tty skimmed milk. I use pasteurized 1% fat or fat free sterilized milk. Seems to work for me

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
i use almond milk , it very nice with porridge

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I switched to porridge for breakfast because it has a low GI but now read milk is high in sugar, albeit lactose.
Yes it's sad that milk contains 5% sugar or there about. I live close to a dairy farm and used to drink buckets of milk. Now I go for smaller amounts of organic cream instead on the few occasions I have porridge. Also switched to pin head oats.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tty skimmed milk. I use pasteurized 1% fat or fat free sterilized milk. Seems to work for me

Sadly, skimmed or semi skimmed milk have more sugars than full fat milk. Sugar is added to it to replace the fat content. Full fat milk is the best choice unless you convert to cream.

Reactions: 5 people

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
They tell you it's best to have skimmed too!! I don't think I could have full fat milk now.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They tell you it's best to have skimmed too!! I don't think I could have full fat milk now.
Why on earth not? With full fat milk you at least get some fat, not only sugary water. As a diabetic I now go for cream.

Reactions: 3 people

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too rich for me. I suffer with IBS and full fat milk and other rich food triggers it off

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Too rich for me. I suffer with IBS and full fat milk and other rich food triggers it off
Are you sure it's IBS and not a pancreatic malfunction? IBS often goes away, more or less, on a grain free LCHF diet while lack of pancreatic enzyme is sure to cause troubles with a high fat diet.

Reactions: 2 people

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No, it's IBS. Have to be careful with certain food and that's one of them

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Who are "they"? I bet you mean the NHS dieticians who still promote low fat products. Skimmed and semi skimmed cows milk have the fat taken out and replaced by sugar to make it palatable. If you look at the nutrition labels on cartons in the supermarkets you will see they have added sugar. Cows milk has enough lactose (sugar) without added sugar.

I am with you though as far as full fat milk goes in my tea. I hate creamy tea so I do use skimmed milk, but only a dash.

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes, the surgery nurse did. But I've been using skimmed milk for most of my life, in coffee, but only small amounts.

Reefshark64

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Apricots,
I now use full fat lactofree, some one on here kindly recommend it to me. It does not spike me, but I only use a little of it in tea and the occasional coffee if I have run out of cream.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use cream in coffee and full fat milk in tea. Alpro coconut or almond milk (unsweetened variety) are also low carb.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Leaving aside the milk debate (which spikes my blood glucose far too high), there's the porridge too.

'They' say porridge is good because it is slow release - but my experience is that it sends my bg very high, and keeps it high - far above nhs bg targets.

Of course different porridges are slower and faster to absorb (the quick micro ones being basically just a sugar dump, and the rolled/nibbed oats, slow-cook ones being marginally better).

The answer is to get a meter and test how YOUR body reacts to YOUR milk and oat combo. If the resulting blood glucose is over nhs guidelines at 2 hours, you need to make some changes.

Reactions: 9 people