Mine's a glass of polythenol please landlord

andyfh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
People who drink three to four times a week are less likely to develop type 2 diabetes than those who never drink, Danish researchers suggest.

Wine appears to be particularly beneficial, probably as it plays a role in helping to manage blood sugar, the study, published in Diabetologia, says.

When it came to drinking beer, men having one to six beers a week lowered their risk of diabetes by 21%, compared to men who drank less than one beer a week - but there was no impact on women's risk.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40740247

Another endorsement for the odd glass of dry red :)

Reactions: Fleegle

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
People who drink three to four times a week are less likely to develop type 2 diabetes than those who never drink, Danish researchers suggest.

Wine appears to be particularly beneficial, probably as it plays a role in helping to manage blood sugar, the study, published in Diabetologia, says.

When it came to drinking beer, men having one to six beers a week lowered their risk of diabetes by 21%, compared to men who drank less than one beer a week - but there was no impact on women's risk.

As I understand it, red wine contains anti oxidents which eliminate 'free radicals'! This is a little over my head.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It may just be the low carbs in the wine that makes it the best option. (I expect the did not track the types of mixers people were using.)

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
People who drink three to four times a week

Is that consecutive days? What's the difference between 3 and 4? How much alcohol exactly? Did the people who answered that they drank less than 3-4 times go on to get diabetes or were they drinking less because of their diabetes diagnosis.

Only messing. Like a lot of "research", it's possible to prove anything. I wonder who pays to find out stuff like this, Carlsberg? LOL

Reactions: al_leister

lindisfel

Expert
Some claim vinegar has a similar effect!:) People who are moderate in their drinking are surely likely to be more moderate in other aspects of life, hence there may be other common factors? D.

Reactions: Robbity

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Red wine is apparently good for us in moderation. It is an antioxidant and is listed on various websites advising which foods are good for improving cholesterol levels (mainly increasing HDL) but the warning comes with it that too much has the opposite effect. One glass a day is the recommended amount.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is that consecutive days? What's the difference between 3 and 4? How much alcohol exactly? Did the people who answered that they drank less than 3-4 times go on to get diabetes or were they drinking less because of their diabetes diagnosis.

Only messing. Like a lot of "research", it's possible to prove anything. I wonder who pays to find out stuff like this, Carlsberg? LOL
Probably

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know that for me, some alcohol can lower bgl the next morning. The report says it reduces the risk of developing diabetes (presume T2?) not drop bgl or cure diabetes when you have it. Using my opening statement and combining it with current thinking on T2D and IR then keeping bgl lower might reduce the buildup of IR. IMO the flaw in this argument for me is that although alcohol might decrase NAFLD, it probably increases AFLD so no nett gain.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The beer part is interesting. As far as I know beer doesn't have any BG lowering properties, quite the opposite. However I am prepared to except this particular research as gospel.

B

badcat

My first thought when I read it was to wonder if i shouldstop being teetotal and just get legless every night in a search for remission!
Then sanity stepped in

D

Deleted member 308541

When it came to drinking beer, men having one to six beers a week lowered their risk of diabetes by 21%, compared to men who drank less than one beer a week
I drank a lot more beer than that a day, let alone a week.

Still ended up as T2 three years ago, although border line for years.

I have mentioned before in a number of threads, that I have drunk a mid strength 3.5% low carb beer for years.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
How about beer with a whisky chaser then you have best of both worlds.:)