1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Missed Bolus

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Poppy2, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Poppy2

Poppy2 Type 1 · Active Member

Hello Everyone, after nearly 5 months of pumping I made a huge mistake this morning! Nearly 3 hours after breakfast I checked my blood sugar prior to going on a well earned shopping trip! Only to find my BM was 18 mmols! I went through the usual process of elimination regarding possible causes and whilst checking my Bolus on my pump-discovered I had forgotten to give it!!! So I gave the recommended dose using my wizard. I knew I needed to be cautious given it was already 3 hours post food so monitored my BM's every half hour........consequently my BM fell with a bit of a bang! To 7 mmols in less than an hour!-so I utilised a TBR to compensate as obviously wanted to avoid a low!........but no I drastically dropped into a hypo of 2.6! mmols-in the middle of a busy shopping centre and have been feeling rubbish and annoyed with myself since-although I have since eaten-re blouses and am relatively stable again!! Has anybody else made this mistake and how did you rectify it?......lesson learnt.......there is a first time for everything x

2. Mrsass

Mrsass Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Aw don't be too hard on yourself we all make mistakes xx

• Like Like x 6
  3. dancer

dancer Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Because of missing a couple of bolusses, due to a changed routine (no excuse, really!) I decided to use the bolus reminder on my pump. It went off yesterday, for the first time, but I had just come back from the shops and hadn't had time for lunch. At least I know it works!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Fayefaye1429

Fayefaye1429 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Does your pump give a choice to extend? I tend to put in say 50% right away and then tell the pod to inject me with the remainder later I find helps

• Like Like x 2
  5. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think the official blurb is you do not bolus for the amount of carbs missed just do a correction. Being a bit on the conservative side if out shopping as most people find blood sugars tend to drop on the shop :(

• Like Like x 6
  6. Poppy2

Poppy2 Type 1 · Active Member

Yes! Thanks I realised afterwards that maybe I should have only done a correction bolus I found it all quite scary though, it's hard to think logically when you are having a hypo!! The shopping trip was abandon! Just another steep learning curve in the process of pumping, will not be doing it again I hope-such a lousy day!! Thanks for the advice everyone x

7. Heathero

Heathero Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Find mention of Hypos on pump concerning, due to start with Omnipod soon, find trial good. Was informed hypos less likely ? How many weeks does it take to stabilise? Have been advised to take time off work as need to do blood test 1-2 hourly day and night for two weeks. Do I need to worry? Work driving daily.

8. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Only do a correction bolus...

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook