Missed night time insulin!

CherryKerry

I missed my Lantus dose last night as I was so tired I feel asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow! :(
I took 12 units (normally have 24 at 10:30pm) at 12:30 today. Should I take my normal 24 tonight or will it overlap and cause low BS? Or should I wait till 12:30 tonight? Please help!

iHs

Hi,

If you can... make yourself stay up until midnight and then inject the other 12u Lantus or inject now and get up in the night and do a bg test just to play safe and make sure that youve not gone a bit low.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Long acting insulin crystallises once injected and is steadily dissolved through the day. If you forget yo inject it you can maintain insulin levels by injecting short acting, bearing in mind it has a lifetime of around 5 hours.

bjy80

Be careful...
I did that once & ended up a hypo & cracked my head open at the supermarket by letting it overlap...
If i do it now i take a minimal dose & check my sugars throughout the folliwing day...
& take shortacting when needed as the previous person suggested...
hope u r ok?

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
SamJB said:
Long acting insulin crystallises once injected and is steadily dissolved through the day. If you forget yo inject it you can maintain insulin levels by injecting short acting, bearing in mind it has a lifetime of around 5 hours.

SamJB ...
Have read your points of insulins mechanical function with great interest . :D
Does ALL types of insulin for certain crystalise ? [I use animal porcine insulin]

Thanks to your description of how insulin works you have shed loads of light on
things for me.
You have helped me enormously sam and I have been reading up much more on this...

It may have only been just one line in your post but it shed light on things sooo much for me :thumbup:
This is how the forum can help others 'dont know what I would have done without it'

Thanks again SamJB.

Anna.