Missing Medication

Nogbad

Dislikes
Selfish people.
Hello all, i wonder if anyone can help? I am newly diagnosed with type2 (Jan 20) and have been started on Metformin Twice a day. However today i do not feel well and have not been able to keep any food in me. Should i still take my Metformin this evening as i will not be eating until at least tommorow.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think it will matter if you do take it, I was told when I started taking it that it was not possible to hurt yourself by overdosing on it. But, it might make you feel even more ill on an empty stomach so you might want to give it a miss anyway.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Tummy Grumblies is a common side effect of starting on Metformin( your nurse or doctor should have warned you).Most people adapt quite quickly and find it a safe medicine. Give it a few weeks and then if you still can't cope, ask for the slow release version. they don't like to give it, because it costs more. There's not a lot of point in taking it at night when you are not eating anything. Try taking it in the middle of a meal. That sometimes works.

Aadrgon

I take Glucophage SR (slow release metformin) once a day at night these don't tend to be as bad for causing stomach upsets. It might be worth asking your Doctor if these would be suitable for you.

bumblejoy

Hi,
Sorry you feel unwell. I tried 2 days of 1 metformin per day and felt like i was dying. I tried to overcome the awful feelings i was having but called my doctor who said to stop taking them straight away. Might be worth a call to you nurse or doctor for advise. She has now prescribed the slow release version but i have to admit i don't want to take it so have not started as yet.
Hope you soon feel better.